Which less popular 50cc ish saw to port??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one here has ported the new craftsman 42cc(not the poulan one).

Jred 2051/2055 are an interesting platform, fairly hot to begin with, look to have excellent porting potential.

Shindiawa 488 is another I need to do.

Of course partner 5000 and/or jred 490/590 but that’s maybe too typical, though if you liked the 500 then you’d love the closed port version.
Also the partner toasters can really be made to run but again already been done a lot but at least not so much these days.

I’ve done a partner 500 and it’s a beast. There’s a echo 500p local that’s tempting. I wouldn’t mind a shindiawa 488.

We did a few 490 echo’s, @Red97 and I, with a thread on “the forbidden site”.

They wake up nicely and run well. Good luck selling it when done, I managed to just get back my cost on the saw after advertising it for months.

It’s not a strato saw and has a domed piston, which adds to the annoyance.

I should’ve kept it. Was a great little saw.

7CC13E5A-9B79-4142-8F78-261001A97EAA.jpeg 5BD2291F-D5C5-4201-8126-54D5B4CE2B95.jpeg 9B6D432B-4063-4F96-870D-3B680C7964BE.jpeg 2CECF4EA-D5A8-4794-B6A5-9854306853ED.jpeg EA0AC99B-C950-4C55-B8BC-2CF54FFC290A.jpeg

I’m really tempted to pick up the 500p. Which is basically the same saw as the 490 from what I’ve read. Also it’s nice the 500p is a pro grade saw. Definitely more popular than I was wanting though but oh well. I won’t sell it. It’ll just be to have some fun and use myself.

Jred 2051/2055 are an interesting platform, fairly hot to begin with, look to have excellent porting potential.

Shindiawa 488 is another I need to do.

Of course partner 5000 and/or jred 490/590 but that’s maybe too typical, though if you liked the 500 then you’d love the closed port version.
Also the partner toasters can really be made to run but again already been done a lot but at least not so much these days.
@wcorey so the 2051? I see one on eBay.

@wcorey so the 2051? I see one on eBay.

Yup, one 'o them 'factory hotrods', they don't disappoint. Very high reving...
A bit unique in that it's a horizontally split magnesium crank case with a top bearing cap setup similar to a husky 350.
2054 is the open port version, also a pretty good runner.

Another more questionable option is the jred 535, can usually be had dirt cheap because that whole family for various reasons has a somewhat sketchy reputation.
Nicely designed closed port cylinder though that I've heard takes well to porting, be a good sleeper.

I was looking at other cylinders. Wonder if I could graft something bigger on it. It’s clean, and he wants $150. Probably do $120 since he’s a local chainsaw friend of mine. But like I said before there’s also a 500p for $250. Could probably get it for less if the guy will sell the pho.

Any chance you can post your thoughts and reasoning to why you reshape each port as you do and really break it down for those of us that are learning?

With the one saw i have done every bit i reshaped was done specifically after thinking/imagining what effect it would have on the flow at that point plus elseware and with an end result in mind
But, i have zero experence, zero trial and error, zero empirical results. It was all based off reading and having watched how water flows... aka guesswork.

Knowing the reasons experienced people do what they do will hopefully reduce the amount of mistakes and improve the results.

Thanks either way.

Back