ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Which of these zero turns for around $3,000?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Tifford, May 11, 2019.

?

Which of these zero turn mowers for around $3,000?

1. Cub Cadet 50" cut kawasaki engine

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Cub Cadet 54" cut Kohler engine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Raptor 50" with kawasaki engine

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. Gravely IKON by Ariens 52" Kawasaki engine

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Tifford

Tifford ArboristSite Lurker

In a couple of weeks I'm planning on getting a new zero turn mower. I have set my budget for around $3,000. I've called local dealers (not big box stores) and these are what they have for around 3,000 dollars.
    About 3 acres. 8 objects to mow around in the back. About 4 objects and a line of trees to mow around in the front. Land has slight to moderate hills.

farmer steve likes this.
  2. U&A

U&A Addicted to ArboristSite

Did you forget to post links?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM

farmer steve likes this.
  3. ammoaddict

ammoaddict ArboristSite Guru

I was in the same boat as you. 3 acres, slopes and trees. That was my budget too. All the zero turns use hydro gear pumps. There are different grades of them. The lower priced ones are permanently lubricated. Next step up you can change the hydro oil, the better ones have a oil filter on each pump and a hydro oil resovoir. I ended up with a Hustler raptor SD for $4500. Had it for 3 years and extremely happy with it. 60" cut 24hp Kawasaki engine. I did a lot of research before I bought one. I didn't want to spend that much but I wanted one that would last.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

4. U&A

This

Hydro pump, engine, mower deck construction and spindle type are the key features to look at.

I got a commercial Ferris ($5,000)and i only mow 1.5 acres. But the build quality of those parts I listed are serviceable a of great quality. Not to mention Ferris has four corner suspension.

Duce and 95custmz like this.
  5. ammoaddict

The suspension would be a nice feature. Mine rides a bit rough in some areas I mow.

Duce, crowbuster and farmer steve like this.
  6. farmer steve

farmer steve outstanding in my field, 5150

I bought the Ferris also. I looked around and found a leftover 2017. Stihl $5200 but I liked the quality and the suspension for my back. Only have about 34 hours on it so I don't know about longevity. Ferris makes Simplicity and the price might be a little better. Good luck.

Duce and U&A like this.
  7. stihl sawing

stihl sawing MAD DOG

I have the cub cadet 54 with kohler engine and a bad boy 60 inch. the quality difference is like night and day. the bad boy is about 10 years old and has been flawless and still is. the cub is new and hasn't been used much. But I think it will be an ok mower. the steering is nowhere as good as the bad boy. If you have any low lying land, you better put a winch on your truck. zero turns are bad about getting stuck. Mowers are like a lot of things, you get what you pay for.

farmer steve and U&A like this.
  8. stihl sawing

stihl sawing MAD DOG

Also make sure you get the fabricated deck. don't get that stamped crap. it won't last.
    SANY4047.JPG

9. ammoaddict

I almost bought a bad boy but it was close to 6 grand with the Kawasaki engine. I bought the prior year left over Hustler for 4500 out the door.

farmer steve, U&A and 95custmz like this.
  10. Skeans

Skeans Addicted to ArboristSite

Have you looked into the Kubota zero turn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U&A likes this.
  11. milkman

milkman Addicted to ArboristSite

Ky. between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank.
    In '09, I bought a 7 yr old ZD21 for just over what you're looking to spend. No problems and I expect it to last me as long as I need a mower. It took a while to find what I wanted, but I think a used commercial grade mower was a better choice than a new homeowner grade Zero turn.

92utownxh, tilenick, Sleepy and 2 others like this.
  12. Tifford

I kind of wanted to stay with a dealer for service related reasons. Therefore I called a few dealers to hear what they had.

I did stop in at tractor supply this morning to pick up some linch pins for my tractor. They had a bad boy out front for 3,500. It looked nice. 725cc kohlar engine which I think is around 24 to 25 hp engine. Everything around the engine looked easy to get to. Tubular control arms. A foot lever to operate the deck height. A comfortable seat. On the down side the spindles don't have a grease fitting or none that I saw. If you need warrenty service they will send it to one of their picked service stores which is unknown to me at this point.

I have a 5,000 pound winch with a block and tackle that should be able to pull 9,000 lbs if the cable will handle that. I also have a 4x4 truck with 5 or 6 10,000 straps that will pull the mower out should it get stuck. Also have a 4x4 tractor.

My tractor is pulling an Italian made finish mower. I bought the 3 point finish mower for 200 and had to replace all 3 spindles but I came out way ahead instead of buying new. The Italians do know how to make finish mowers. This one is built like a tank and if the spindles hold up should last 200 years. The deck could repel a WWII 16 pounder from a British tank. The tractor is handling the duty of mowing for now. It's slow in 4wheel drive and sits up high so low hanging tree branches can be a irritation.

I got a couple of days off this week. I'll check out in person each of the above. A good friend of mine has a cub cadet that he's happy with. I saw a video of a cub that looked remarkably like the neglected troy built that we got with the house we bought.

Another friend who's a gear head suggested the bad boy mower as well.

I think the kawasaki or kohlar engines are good engines.

95custmz likes this.
  13. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I got a deal on a used Snapper Pro walk behind, 52". Got it for $900 with 540 hours. It's built like a tank. 20 HP Kawasaki. My neighbor bought a new TSC Cub Cadet and it's been in the shop more than it's been in her yard. I'd look for a used pro under 1000 hours. My local Exmarck dealer said he would have no trouble taking my Snapper in trade up to about 1300-1400 hours. Ask a dealer what he will give you for a TSC Cub with 1400 hours on it.

Sleepy likes this.
  14. crowbuster

crowbuster ArboristSite Guru

They do have the suspension seat as an option on the hustlers, wow what a big difference they make.

ammoaddict likes this.
  15. U&A

If the spindles cant be greased i don’t want them

2lungs and mark360T like this.
  16. rmotoman

rmotoman ArboristSite Operative

I have a hustler with a little over 4000 hours. The hydraulic pump and motors haven't given any trouble. I believe it's on the third Briggs. I got it from my mom last fall.

17. U&A

Man.

4,000 hours..... and 3 briggs..? I would hope to get AT LEAST 2,000 minimum out of one V-twin briggs. And they should REALLY last longer than 2,000.

Thats a bummer. But glad those hydro pumps are good.

I heard that there is a V-twin from harbor freight that is supposed to be a copy of another brand(don’t remember) and it is supposed to be pretty good.

18. Duce

Duce Addicted to ArboristSite

Neighbor has a Cat 33hp powered older Ferris 72" cut and I have a Husqvarna 54"cut with 24 hp Kawasaki (nice motor), it has filters on hydros. That being said Ferris is like driving a Cadillac, mine is like driving a buck board. He purchased his from a smaller golf course and I rebuilt spindles on deck. Offered to trade him my much newer zero turn and he :laughing: at me. When he has been out of town, have cut his 12 acres several times and beverage holder is nice (don't try that with mine, you will be wearing it).

19. Tifford

Here's the way I look at it.

-Unless the mower requires fixing thats about equal in price to a new mower, I'm keeping it for a long time. Trade in value doesn't matter to me. Drive it til the wheels fall off.

-I'm conscientious about spending money. As an extreme example, I'm not going to spend 20,000 on something that cuts grass and that doesn't earn me money. I mow my lawn and that's it.

- I really didn't even want to spend 3000 on a mower. There are tractors out there for less. However, my girlfriend likes a zero turn and she likes to cut grass often enough. So zero it is.

- I'd like to grease the spindles. At the same time, if they last for 5 years I can replace them and still be ahead.

- I would love love love to be able to service the hydros. However, I can't justify spending the money for a better machine. I think I can be debt free (house included) in a year and that's important to me.

Leaning towards a cub cadet zt1. Having an Uncle in the farming business I know the quality of cubs have suffered since not being built by IH any more. Now they are a run of the mill MTD imho. As long as it cuts grass, goes up moderate hills and can handle maybe 2 hours of cutting a week, I'd be happy.

WRW, 95custmz and farmer steve like this.
  20. rmotoman

rmotoman ArboristSite Operative

My mom ran one Briggs out of oil otherwise it might be two. It's the old opposed twin. It leaks oil and has a random miss so it's days are numbered. She bought the mower new in 1985.

U&A likes this.