Which Pre-Mix Gas Do You Use? Are They All The Same?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since getting my first chainsaw, I have been only using pre-mixed fuel. Usually 40:1 but sometimes 50:1 if they are out of the 40. When I got my first Husky saw, I used Husky fuel, and when I got my first Stihl saw, I used Stihl fuel. Since then, I have basically just been using whatever is on sale. Whether it is VP, Stihl, Husky, TruFuel, or Powercare.

Has anybody noticed any big differences in these fuels? Is it basically the same as going to BP vs Shell, and it's all gas, one isn't better than any other?

In all honesty, I have not noticed a difference between running any of these.

I would be happy to hear other's thoughts on these brands, or which they prefer and why.
No

Actually I don’t think folks save much if any money by heating with wood, but yes the biggest share of my home heat comes from firewood.

Heating cost is between $1500 and $1800 per winter at the present time. Most of my customers buy wood to have an extra atmosphere to enjoy. If I did not sale wood and had to buy wood maybe would consider other options. Solar panels might be an asset. Thanks

IMHO all those premixes are pretty decent. I can’t afford to pay for it for the amount of cutting I do. If I’m not running a saw for a while I’ll run my last tank with eng fuel and have no issues letting it sit for a while as the fuel won’t eat the gaskets.

It’s hard to get ethanol free fuel here in Ontario so I go to shell and get the 90+ octane when I mix. I use the stihl mixing oil and make a batch at a time but it doesn’t sit long.

If your not doing a tone of cutting get the big big jugs of the husky eng fuel .

Once again your best off to get good mixes and blend your own but store the saws with the eng stuff

I buy gas 1 or 2 gallons at a time. Use stihl 50:1 exclusively. I burn about 2 gallons a week this time of year. If your burning it fast it doesn’t matter what it is. I hit the premium button, but I’m sure I get lots of E15 from the hose. The stihl oil must protect the saw because even if I let a saw sit 2-3 months it fires right up. (my lawnmower not so much) i dang sure don’t have trouble with what I run daily.

I don't run canned fuel, but collect the quart cans for my "Go" box.
I run 93 alcohol free with Amsoil Sabre at 40:1 and only mix a gallon at a time unless I'm heading out on a serious wood cutting trip.
Reusing small Stihl Ultra oil containers for making 40:1 fuel makes the mixing quick and clean.
Some mix oils have a fuel stabilizer in their formulation, but using alcohol free fuel will avoid most of the problems that the stabilizer is trying to address.

Your lucky.
Apparently. It sounds like most of the country only has access to fuel with ethanol. We have that available too and I don’t mind running it through my cars but I never know how long fuel might sit in my small engines.

Ethanol is 113 octane

E10 takes 85 real gas to 87 at the pump. Mixing in some oil will also increase the octane rating.

E15 takes 85 to 88

If I had no choice but to buy ethanol fuel I would just buy less fuel at a time and use the lowest octane E10 that I could find.

Back