Which raker depth gauge do you recommend?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello,

Running a .325 chain on an ms261, had always used a stihl 2-in-1 that handled the rakers but recently switched to a timberline which seems to do a much better job. Unfortunately it doesn't handle the rakers.

I see that oregon sells depth gauges but they have different versions, not sure how to select the proper one?

Running the 26RM series.

thank you.

Any flat straight edge will do I use piece of channel aluminium about 4 inches long 5 inches long Cheap as Chips works perfect

Just a suggestion. Try the new Stihl tool. It sharpens and adjusts the gauges at the same time.
And it works. No BS. Little $$$$$$ but saves time and does a nice job.
Check YOUTUBE.

Every few sharpenings i take one of them flat carpenters pencil and lay it across the top of 3 of the cutters with the chain on the bar .

Then check the gap between the top of the cutter (what the pencil is laying on) and the depth gauge by sliding feeler gauges between the pencil and top of the gauge.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I run .025 Hardwood.
I never run .030 softwood.
The largest saw I have is a Husky 460 with 24” bar.
I don’t own a Pro saw, so I figured .025 would be easier on the saw.

I am a hand filer and happy about it. As a chain wears the rakers need to be filed to some what match. With a flat file the rakers get filed leaving a short flat spot. It is easy to notice how long or wide the flat spot is. So as long as the width of the rakers are close to each other the OP is good to go. What else is there to know. Thanks

Back