Which raker depth gauge do you recommend?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who needs rakers!!!!! File them off and have a manly chain you weiners

No No and NO. Few people have filed rakers like me. Chain looks awesome until it sees a piece of wood. With in thirty seconds your hands are numb. The saw is jumping and jerking around until you wonder if you arms might be next. That is before filing rakers all the way. Thanks

No No and NO. Few people have filed rakers like me. Chain looks awesome until it sees a piece of wood. With in thirty seconds your hands are numb. The saw is jumping and jerking around until you wonder if you arms might be next. That is before filing rakers all the way. Thanks
I posted pure sarcasm.

Most my chains are ~0.025" raker depth, almost always hardwoods. Check about every 3 filings.

If I'm into white pine, I sometimes go deeper, unless running a long bar and/or big drive sprocket.

Agreed. File the rakers too far down and forget cutting oak, locust, and most other hardwoods. Your saw will hate you. My chain saw is one of my best friends. I value friendship.

Back