Which small Stihl saw would you keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmctyphoon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Right now I have a 170, 180c, and a 250. Which one would you keep and why? I would only use it for light limbing. Thank you.

I use my ms362 for most other work. And I have a Red 2153 (346xp), so just want to keep the most trouble free light with saw. Or get rid of all three, lol.

I have a 361, 362, 260, 261, and a pair of 346XP saws (plus another couple dozen).
I have a MS180CE and MS210, for my light weight /light duty saws, but don't own a 250.
Not a fan of the 3/8" .043" LP safety chains, but they seem to cut well on the 180 when sharp.
The 250 can make use of 3/8" .050 LP chains and you can get RS chains.
I'd weigh your 250 and compare it to the 346. If it's close enough to a coin toss, keep the 180.

I have an MS260 that is my go-to saw and my favorite saw for sure. But I also have an 018 (older version of the 180). When I cut firewood that 018 is usually the first saw I grab after the trees are all on the ground. That little featherweight 018 is the bomb for cutting up tree tops (everything up to about 6 inch diameter). I can put in a much longer day without being completely worn out if I do all the limb-reaching work with that little saw.

Well, I have experienced it's a "big" difference dancing around the trunk cutting 4" branches with a 4kg/9lb saw rather than a 5kg/11lb saw.
That's not really a comparable job at all, those two weights are not "similar" to carry around and maneuver in any way what so ever.

But if you need the exercise I guess it's better than lifting weights at the gym...
RIMG0082.JPG

I ran a 25 lb husky 2100 doing firewood when I started out, my first week on the elevator job the crane didn’t go high enough I picked u a 400# sheave and installed it on the machine. I was fresh out of the woods cutting trees at the time. Running the bigger saw was like going to the gym.

I ran a 25 lb husky 2100 doing firewood when I started out, my first week on the elevator job the crane didn’t go high enough I picked u a 400# sheave and installed it on the machine. I was fresh out of the woods cutting trees at the time. Running the bigger saw was like going to the gym.

I guess that makes you a real man :muscle:
However to use "the right tool for the job" you need to use your little grey cells too ;)

All great advise, I’m going to weigh the 180c vs the 250 and report back.

Right now I have a 170, 180c, and a 250. Which one would you keep and why? I would only use it for light limbing. Thank you.
The 170 or 180, which ever one is the freshest.
But the 250 is in another league regarding cutting abilities and power.

Latest posts

Back