which stihls do the pros run the most?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is time to replace the princess stickers on Twinkle. If princess stickers are maintained properly, and kept dry, they would last longer. Unfortunately, the stickers do not seem to last in the wetside conditions. The Acme Explosive sticker seems to handle all conditions and is in good shape. I have a Stop Global Warming one but haven't figured out where it will fit.

hertwood

The loggers use MS660's with half wrap handles, stock bar spikes, and 24/25" bars and full comp chain.

ones that live east of colorado. Hell If there was nothing but 100 foot + poplar and conifers over here people(I would) might run longer bars and ...

west coast trees are big & round, they have completely different crowns than hardwoods. I dont think you will find a whole mountain side of 20 to 50" crack happy white oaks that are all leaning like 15 degrees out west.
if you took a west coast 660 carrying a 34" bar and faced one up with the lean and started a back cut it WILL explode on you. If you plunged 1" behind your hinge and cut the center out, she will crack. If you wanted to lay one across the hill say 80 degrees away from the lean Just holding 1" of wood all the way across a 34" stump will often ruin a white oak. you are going to have to stump about 30 + trees to just bairly load a truck. crawling around cutting 8 inch limbs in the tops of thoes hardwoods will ware the dog #### out of you

So why on earth would you want to tote around a long bar all day when you can not put it to good use.

As far as wrap handlebars and good dawgs, IM ALL FOR THEM over here

Its just a diferent ball game.

I love west side timber and east side timber is ok.. I live here now so i have to play ball this way.

Its a pretty simple concept.

660 all the way..

You need to learn to take the heart out son.......although what you said is 100% true.........you know you're good when you can walk a 3' white oak through the tree tops.........and never get hung up........while feeding 2 or 3 franklin 170's........:greenchainsaw:

You need to learn to take the heart out son.......although what you said is 100% true.........you know you're good when you can walk a 3' white oak through the tree tops.........and never get hung up........while feeding 2 or 3 franklin 170's........:greenchainsaw:

White oak, white ash, some reds, some chesnuts, walnut, and hickory god forbid i almost always de-heart. black oak, poplar, maples, naa.

I was just trying to get the point across how easy it is to screw up what can be good hardwood saw logs and even more importantly good vineers!!!

I would have been canned a long time ago if i sawed like that haha.

Also when trying to side hill bad leaners, sometimes you gotta have some heart for some of the hinging or your just gonna pull the stump.

hardwood fallers dont get enough respect.

The loggers use MS660's with half wrap handles, stock bar spikes, and 24/25" bars and full comp chain.

ones that live east of colorado. Hell If there was nothing but 100 foot + poplar and conifers over here people(I would) might run longer bars and ...

west coast trees are big & round, they have completely different crowns than hardwoods. I dont think you will find a whole mountain side of 20 to 50" crack happy white oaks that are all leaning like 15 degrees out west.
if you took a west coast 660 carrying a 34" bar and faced one up with the lean and started a back cut it WILL explode on you. If you plunged 1" behind your hinge and cut the center out, she will crack. If you wanted to lay one across the hill say 80 degrees away from the lean Just holding 1" of wood all the way across a 34" stump will often ruin a white oak. you are going to have to stump about 30 + trees to just bairly load a truck. crawling around cutting 8 inch limbs in the tops of thoes hardwoods will ware the dog #### out of you

So why on earth would you want to tote around a long bar all day when you can not put it to good use.

As far as wrap handlebars and good dawgs, IM ALL FOR THEM over here

Its just a diferent ball game.

I love west side timber and east side timber is ok.. I live here now so i have to play ball this way.

Its a pretty simple concept.

660 all the way..

I have cut lots of stands of hardwood and have never changed equipment. Long bar or short bar it is technique and skill that saves the tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ain't careful and Alder will knock your teeth out... there are some very big Alder out here. Very brittle and like to litterally explode on the stump when they are heavy leaners.

Coos Bay cut all the way on those puppies...

Gary

It is time to replace the princess stickers on Twinkle. If princess stickers are maintained properly, and kept dry, they would last longer. Unfortunately, the stickers do not seem to last in the wetside conditions. The Acme Explosive sticker seems to handle all conditions and is in good shape. I have a Stop Global Warming one but haven't figured out where it will fit.

What model saw is Twinkle?

Jaws (the saw formerly known as Twinkle) is an MS440. He wears princess stickers, because his owner is a PNW Forest Princess, and she makes him wear the stickers, along with Barbie stickers for humiliation. At least he gets to wear a 28 inch bar. Small dawgs though. He would prefer the big ones with the roller kit mounted to him, and all those stickers removed. Sadly, he relizes that this will not happen any time soon. Maybe in time his owner will forget about him and leave him outside where the 37 types of rain will remove the stickers for him. Or maybe she will loan him out to a good faller from south of the Columbia River, where saw logs levitate off mountains and he will be treated with dignity and respect and get a good douse of beer and gas to polish him up and remove the stickers ;)

Its kind of like that song where the poor guy was named Sue to grow up tough as nails.

Last edited:
...west coast trees are big & round, they have completely different crowns than hardwoods. I dont think you will find a whole mountain side of 20 to 50" crack happy white oaks that are all leaning like 15 degrees out west.

Man, you make it sound like there are no hardwoods out here in the wild wild long bar wild west. I can say for a fact that there are, and many a hillside is covered in white oak, black oak, madrone, bigleaf maple, golden chinkapin, bay laurel, tan oak, and a lot of other species. And the 100+ acre place I lived in for the past 4 years (central coast OryGun) is covered with acres of black oaks all leaning and some are over 100 feet tall, and 4-5 feet in diameter. Try driving around Roseburg and all you will see is oaks. Also along the Willamette Valley; more oaks. Sierra foothills? More oaks there too. Whole mountainsides of them.

They are out here bud! Lots of hardwood here, west of the Mississippi, the Rockies, and the Cascades/Sierras...

Last edited:
That came from the land around the harbor... :)

There are Garry Oaks here in the town of Oak Harbor.

They are Protected by I believe State Law... They are everywhere in this town. Beutiful big 100 and 150 year old trees. The one by the post office is said to be close to 200 years old...

Gary

Back