which stihls do the pros run the most?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, you make it sound like there are no hardwoods out here in the wild wild long bar wild west. I can say for a fact that there are, and many a hillside is covered in white oak, black oak, madrone, bigleaf maple, golden chinkapin, bay laurel, tan oak, and a lot of other species. And the 100+ acre place I lived in for the past 4 years (central coast OryGun) is covered with acres of black oaks all leaning and some are over 100 feet tall, and 4-5 feet in diameter. Try driving around Roseburg and all you will see is oaks. Also along the Willamette Valley; more oaks. Sierra foothills? More oaks there too. Whole mountainsides of them.

They are out here bud! Lots of hardwood here, west of the Mississippi, the Rockies, and the Cascades/Sierras...

LOL...One thing about cutting oak, it makes me appreciate Doug fir and all the stuff I usually cut.

I took out a bunch of oak for a neighbor this year and there wasn't one tree out of a hundred that didn't lean...and lean badly. They were old trees and most of them had center rot to one degree or another and that always makes things interesting.

There were trees that you could walk around five times, plumb them every way you could think of, and still get a big surprise when you backed them up. They were all going for firewood so it didn't matter if I busted them up falling. Good thing, too. The old "stand there real cool by the stump while the tree starts over" deal didn't apply at all. As soon as I saw it start to open up I was out of there...way out of there.

I just used a lot of wedges and stayed light on my feet and did't get hurt but I think I finished that job with more gray hair than I started with.:)

See i didnt know that there where so many different hard woods out there. Bout all i knew of is Eucalyptus, Spanish oak, and the alder. But i am learning things every day!

thoes old conifers are aLOT more fun arent they!!!

LOL...One thing about cutting oak, it makes me appreciate Doug fir and all the stuff I usually cut.

I took out a bunch of oak for a neighbor this year and there wasn't one tree out of a hundred that didn't lean...and lean badly. They were old trees and most of them had center rot to one degree or another and that always makes things interesting.

There were trees that you could walk around five times, plumb them every way you could think of, and still get a big surprise when you backed them up. They were all going for firewood so it didn't matter if I busted them up falling. Good thing, too. The old "stand there real cool by the stump while the tree starts over" deal didn't apply at all. As soon as I saw it start to open up I was out of there...way out of there.

I just used a lot of wedges and stayed light on my feet and did't get hurt but I think I finished that job with more gray hair than I started with.:)

Nothing like that feeling you get when the bar glides into a void in the center of the tree and you realize that everything is not as you thought it would be. You see that backcut start to open up and it is get the he!! outa there!!!

Nothing like that feeling you get when the bar glides into a void in the center of the tree and you realize that everything is not as you thought it would be. You see that backcut start to open up and it is get the he!! outa there!!!

Yup. I've been teaching my son to fall and he helped me on that job. On the really bad stuff I had him knocking wedges for me...we were wedging early and often. We planned in advance which way we were both going to run if things went bad...didn't want to run into each other, fall down, and then get smushed by the tree.

On the stuff with a lot of center rot they'd sometimes just kind of disintegrate...explosively.

Yes, I will vouch that the state of Jefferson has many varieties of hardwoods.
It is a drier climate than here. I cut up a madrone snag for firewood. But it was too hard for me to split. A manly neighbor came by and said, Let me try.
He could not split it. I put it under a sprinkler for a day and then it was easier to split, and it being in the State of Jefferson, was still hot enough to dry before winter. Madrone is excellent firewood. An interesting looking tree too. I do not care for Tan Oak. It is like working in a peach packing house all day--itchy. Poison oak is also a native. Ick.

West Coast Boast

Picked up some nice long pieces(damn were they heavy)of BLUE OAK and ENGELMANN in the Angeles National Forest just outside of Los Angeles....yeah, Los Angeles:hmm3grin2orange: It's going to make some nice pieces of furniture. The gnarly stuff I'll burn.

BTW-They sell a permit to harvest from the forest for 35 bucks a cord for hard wood and 25 for pine. It's fun using the cs in the forest.

It is like working in a peach packing house all day--itchy. Poison oak is also a native. Ick.

You cutting down poison oak for firewood up there now? Man, times must be hard! ;) ;) ;)

Jefferson, my beloved state. I am in the PNW proper now, just south of the Columbia River. :cheers: More firs up here. And even redwoods... my brother has about 20 MBF of redwood growing on his lot. Not that they would let him cut it, and there is no where to mill it around here. Just the same, to me it has eye appeal and I salivate just thinking of it being cut down, and trucked off, while the neighbors oogle over their size and beauty. Messy trees though. Always dumping crap all over the lot. Damn trees...

You cutting down poison oak for firewood up there now? Man, times must be hard! ;) ;) ;)

Jefferson, my beloved state. I am in the PNW proper now, just south of the Columbia River. :cheers: More firs up here. And even redwoods... my brother has about 20 MBF of redwood growing on his lot. Not that they would let him cut it, and there is no where to mill it around here. Just the same, to me it has eye appeal and I salivate just thinking of it being cut down, and trucked off, while the neighbors oogle over their size and beauty. Messy trees though. Always dumping crap all over the lot. Damn trees...
Not much poison Oak North of the Columbia

I see alot MS 460's and 660's in the area.

The Oak I cut down a few weeks ago had poison oak growing around the base of it. I got the rash pretty good on the inside of the forearms.:cry:

Latest posts

Back