which stihls do the pros run the most?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttin-4-heat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
just curious who runs what all day climbers, loggers,firewood guys anybody who runs their saw hard day after day ?
what do you run? what is benchmark for you guys?

Climbers = 200T

Loggers = 440 441 460 660

Loggers in big stuff = 880

Tree service = 200T 361 440 441 maybe a 460 and 660

Firewood guys = all of the above but the tophandle

Also a lot of homeowner firewood guys are gonna use the more economicaly priced 290 310 390 series too...

Gary

Last edited:
saw info

stihl 260 and up:givebeer: long bars and full wrap handlez and big dawgz rule the right coast:clap: short bars and half wrap handlez and teeny tiny dawgz rule the wrong coast:clap:

:cheers:

LONG LIVE PNW TIMBER WORKERS

Climbers = 200T

Loggers = 440 441 460 660

Loggers in big stuff = 880

Tree service = 200T 361 440 441 maybe a 460 and 660

Firewood guys = all of the above but the tophandle

Also a lot of homeowner firewood guys are gonna use the more economicaly priced 290 310 390 series too...

Gary

Gary I enjoy reading your posts. Down to earthand right to the point. Keep it up .:clap:

stihl 260 and up:givebeer: long bars and full wrap handlez and big dawgz rule the right coast:clap: short bars and half wrap handlez and teeny tiny dawgz rule the wrong coast:clap:

LOL, now the Europeans are going to flame you! :cheers:

Pretty much, except for the dawgs there are guys here that take em off so the help dosent "jake the mounts out dat saw!!" Dont ask..

I have the good ones on the 660. I wanted to talk the boss into a 3/4 wrap for the saw but i dont think its gonna happen.

I always thought wrap handles tall clutch covers and big dawgs was how Stihl pro saws were equiped till I came to this site and saw the funny looking eastern Stihls:greenchainsaw:

Locally:

Tree Service guys use:
For in tree/ bucket truck work- MS200T, MS192T but the MS180 out sell the top handle saws to pros 10:1.

Most ground work is done by 036/MS360/MS361 and MS440/044 running 20" and 25" bars

Most guys only have one or two big saws and a lot have 084's, or 066's there just aren't a lot of trees that require a
32"+ bar so most big saws don't get a lot of use so no need to update to a MS660 or MS880. The only time they break out the big saws is to cut big stumps.

Professional firewood cutters use 044/MS440's and 046/MS460's with 25" bars as there primary saw with 024/026/MS260's
and MS270's as a limb saws. But there are a lot of 028's and 034's still being used to cut smaller wood.

The loggers use MS660's with half wrap handles, stock bar spikes, and 24/25"
bars and full comp chain. Since they are primarily cutting oaks, and black walnut and other hardwoods.

That my be true further up the north coast but with some of the large hard wood trees we have around here this is what I use. The pics are what happens when you hang around this place & the addiction to saw dust in the blood sets in. :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

logging saws

We use 460's with 20" bars...logging for the mill. We also have a couple 066's........also with 20's. If we get into big stuff I bring one of my bad boys.......:greenchainsaw:

Back