which super split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skindaddy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
which model super split do you own and why that one?
what i t do with knarly stuff?

i just got the j-model electric.....cause it's nice and quiet, and 1 less gas motor to maintain..
i've run about 8 cords through it so far..........have NOT tripped a breaker once..
kikin myself for not getting this thing 13 years ago. love it !!!!
knarly stuff sometimes needs hit a few times, but it slices right through..

I got the J model with the Subaru gas engine. Thought about the HD, but after talking with Paul, I just won't split enough to justify it.
That being said, it has split everything I have thrown at it. Including some big 28"-30" rounds. I've had a few rounds that took 2-3 hits, but that was it.
It has become one of my favorite tools to play with. I split just about 10 cords with it this year. I hope to increase that to 30 cords next year.

I've run thirty cord through the HD w/subaru engine and optional table that I got this spring. Love it! Big stuff I noodle to lifting size. Some nasty stuff I split around the edges and toss to the side to give to my neighbor. You can cut through it but it is a waste of time, and hard on the machine. A hydraulic would just make junk of it anyway. One of the SS pluses for me is far less junk because it cuts with the narrow wedge.

You make junk out of the wood?? Does that mean it then won't burn?

My splitter splits everything and my wood stove burns "everything", no matter what it looks like...

SR

what is the difference between the J and hd and other models, the website is very vague and not very good no pics just videos of use.

You make junk out of the wood?? Does that mean it then won't burn?

My splitter splits everything and my wood stove burns "everything", no matter what it looks like...

SR

I think he means "splitter trash"... And one might refer to tiny little splits that you can't sell as trash. Sure you could bundle it or stack it but it takes time to do so...and time picking up trash is time you're not splitting firewood you can sell.
And my hydro makes muuuuuch more trash then my super.

I think he means "splitter trash"... And one might refer to tiny little splits that you can't sell as trash. Sure you could bundle it or stack it but it takes time to do so...and time picking up trash is time you're not splitting firewood you can sell.
And my hydro makes muuuuuch more trash then my super.

Over here, we call that "kindling" and having some of it around is a big plus...

Picking a bit of it up in a pail, sure beats having to "make it" on the splitter... Then again, I burn what I split, I really don't sell much firewood.

SR

I've had the J Model for over 4 years now and love it. 10-20 cords a year and handles the gnarly stuff just fine.

J-model, and I've been able to split anything, although I think my record so far is 12 hits to get through a Big Nasty Crotch (also known as " '08's Desire").
I have both the Honda and an electric 220 motor hooked up. I use mostly the electric, and I hooked up outlets at my shop wood area and my home wood area. The gas engine is in case I decide to split where I cut and can bring it along.

I had the motor wired to 110, but it tripped the overload button, so I bypassed it. Then it didn't have much power, and would trip a breaker from time to time, so I wired it to 220 and haven't had a problem since.

I would probably get the larger model if I were to do it again. I started selling firewood this year, and have gone through maybe 20 cords so far.

Over here, we call that "kindling" and having some of it around is a big plus...

Picking a bit of it up in a pail, sure beats having to "make it" on the splitter... Then again, I burn what I split, I really don't sell much firewood.

SR

Yes I get your point, the "Normal" splitter operator should "need" the trash..but it adds up fast when you split 5-7 cords a day for a few weeks...you end up using valuable space for trash and not profit. 10 cords a year...55 gallon drum ...100 cords a year dump truck load at least. thats a lot of shovels and 5 gallon pails. :)

here's our new Pound find....pure "rascal" named 'Rosco' 100% Mutt...came from the South so Im assuming some kinda "coon" or other hound. 4 months as a guess.

20141102_073615_zpsukzluyji.jpg

I purchased the HD model without ever seeing or testing any of the models in person. Only real complaint, didn't hear of them 25-30 years ago!

if it makes you feel any better, mine is about 25-30 years old !!!

It doesn't. Only makes me feel DUMBER. I still am dumbfounded that after all the research I did when I made my hydraulic that I did not run across any info on the super split. Well the power of the web today is amazing.

It doesn't. Only makes me feel DUMBER. I still am dumbfounded that after all the research I did when I made my hydraulic that I did not run across any info on the super split. Well the power of the web today is amazing.

I think the key is that the makers of the SS put their money into engineering a quality product, rather than an expensive marketing campaign.

Behr paint does the exact opposite. They have a crappy product and a fantastic marketing strategy, so a lot of ignorant homeowners think it's great, but the pros all hate it. Fortunately the web is here to help balance it all out with customer reviews, but even those can be skewed by 'professional reviewers' who sign up with different names to post good reviews.

Back