which super split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what worries me is not seeming to get alot of product for the premium price over decent priced hydraulics.
even though guys say the s.s. are great look and like would save alot of time. , i can see and add the cost up on a hydraulic unit. hell of a design fee in the s.s. not alot of parts
oh well i have alot of thinking to do, nice if they were popular enough to find a used one!!

what worries me is not seeming to get alot of product for the premium price over decent priced hydraulics.
even though guys say the s.s. are great look and like would save alot of time. , i can see and add the cost up on a hydraulic unit. hell of a design fee in the s.s. not alot of parts
oh well i have alot of thinking to do, nice if they were popular enough to find a used one!!

Not sure I follow your post but if your concerns are parts availability then give Paul a call at Super Split. He is the owner and actually answers the phone or returns your call himself. I have never called him and not received any part in more then a week later. Mine was purchased used and was used heartily for years. I also have a TW6 Hydro that may or may not get sold next season...my SS ain't going anywhere.

Purchase price fades quickly from memory when value trumps costs.

I first started with the HD Honda. Now I have the Special Edition. I offend get a straight normal looking piece but underneath it is a nasty ugly mess. I upgraded to the special edition because I don't want to waist time hitting the ugly 15 times. 99% of the time the SE will muscle through the nasty. When I am splitting I don't want to slow down. Productivity is more important to me.

The HD has a inch taller wedge than the J. We had Sunfish's J and my HD together at a charity cut in the spring. Got a lot of wood split that day.

The special edition has a bigger flywheel. Stronger wedge. Welded main bearing not bolted. 4 v belt. Bigger motor with gear reduction.

I now go looking for the ugly trying to find a piece I might not be able to split with the Special Edition. Have not found one yet. Most I have had to hit a ugly is 3 times. This weekend I did a pecan knuckle that went 5 different directions. I did have to read the wood to getter done.

The heavier belt of the SE
d8d4a3988f5468d5406c86e604d36dba.jpg

Belt of the HD

4fe93a522c4c9bca74dc85d3ec0f7482.jpg

Wedge of the SE

0d6f808bd9ecfd879d595d32394b5e8e.jpg

Skindaddy:
You are right, the machines do not look like much, they look like light weights really. And buying something sight unseen is discomforting. I read this forum for several years before buying and what I read was... not a single complaint from SS owners themselves. In the mean time I used my old hydraulic. I built a table for it, added a detent valve, cylinder stroke reducing collars, an additional staging table for rounds, all to run smoother, more efficent. And I kept reading this forum. Each time someone bought an SS they said the same thing, "Why did I wait so long?" I waited a long time, and when the money was available I ordered one. Very happy with it. I do not know where you are in Michigan but you are welcome to come and try it out. I have about ten cord of logs here you can run through my machine to warm it up! I'm in southwest MI. 616 834 1678 if you want to text. I can send a video back. It will not load here for some reason. I don't care if you buy one or not, I just like seeing peoples faces when they try mine. Actually I feel bad for them because running a box store splitter really is like watching paint dry after that. Lots of factors though: type/size of wood; volume your doing; price; personal use/selling firewood.

They are so popular folks don't want to sell them. So finding a used one is difficult...

I purchased the HD model without ever seeing or testing any of the models in person. Only real complaint, didn't hear of them 25-30 years ago!
I saw one in person bout 14 years ago, but was 10 years later before I got one.
Better late than never is the way I look at it. :)

i am feeling alot more comfortable about them now , and appreciate everyone input , pics. and history.
sandhill might have to take up that very generous offer when i get sometime.
you guy are awesome.
this looks like its for me , i need to start saving alot of pennies and picking up popcans ;)

I forget the member who made it but he built a "staging table" on 4x4 legs to load rounds up to so he didn't have to bend over to feed the SS. one operator loading the table on one end with a FEL and slightly pitched to the other end with the SS off that side. made for a tremendously efficient operation and only two 'gas' motors to maintain. only hydraulics were in the FEL which also loads the dump truck or stack.
you're right...takes a few popcans to purchase but boy it don't seem to matter for long when you put a few cords down before lunch time and in a weekend your are all set for the year.

I forget the member who made it but he built a "staging table" on 4x4 legs to load rounds up to so he didn't have to bend over to feed the SS. one operator loading the table on one end with a FEL and slightly pitched to the other end with the SS off that side. made for a tremendously efficient operation and only two 'gas' motors to maintain. only hydraulics were in the FEL which also loads the dump truck or stack.
you're right...takes a few popcans to purchase but boy it don't seem to matter for long when you put a few cords down before lunch time and in a weekend your are all set for the year.

i built a custom production table for mine, just cause that's what i wanted...
it doubles as a staging table as well, holds alot of weight..
i took some pictures last week, the wife is off today, so i'll start another thread with pictures... (wife can do pictures, i'm too dumb)

I purchased the HD model without ever seeing or testing any of the models in person.
Same here, but then I shipped it to the other side of the planet where I am. No returns possible, no warranty at all, mucho $ to get it here.

Worth every cent and then some.

Do the SE flywheels run at different recommended rpm to HD or J models?
Any change in the diameter of the flywheels and clutch pulley of the SE compared to other models?
What's the SE engine gear reduction and does this lead to higher engine revs than other models?
Will the SE belts slip at all if ever the rack locks up? That's my emergency energy release on the non SE model. It happens long before the revs drop enough for the clutch to disengage.

Do the SE flywheels run at different recommended rpm to HD or J models?
Any change in the diameter of the flywheels and clutch pulley of the SE compared to other models?
What's the SE engine gear reduction and does this lead to higher engine revs than other models?
Will the SE belts slip at all if ever the rack locks up? That's my emergency energy release on the non SE model. It happens long before the revs drop enough for the clutch to disengage.

The SE is little slower. Not much. I think the HD and J are little fast for safety. The flywheel is 1/4 inch thicker on SE. Adds 10 lbs to each fly wheel. Same diameter as the HD. The gear reduction is 2:1 with built in clutch. The belt does not slip. The clutch gives when stopped. The engine is a Honda GX 270. Just under 9 hp. I have an RPM tester at work and will see what they spin at. Post later rpm of each flywheel.

I was wrong.

SE motor ran at 3870 rpm and flywheel was at 337 rpm.

Hd motor was 3760 rpm and flywheel was 328 rpm.

Timed extend to retract at 2 seconds on both HD and SE

I don't normally run the SE as fast as the HD. Plenty of power for splitting wood. Plus quieter. These speeds were at full throttle.

I've had my SSHD for at least a few years now. I bought it as a gas model and some time later converted it to electric. I have a 30AMP plug in my woodlot and a length of 10 gauge cord on a reel to move around as needed. Probably overkill for the little electric motor but it works well. It's very nice to be able to split wood and have a regular conversation or listen to the radio at a normal level. In the winter I use it inside my heated shop parked between two trailers, one of rounds the other for the split wood. Near 70 degrees, ballgame on, and real close to a cold beverage when I am all done. In the time that I have owned it I have replaced a pair of bumpers and a roller that I got wet and did not oil before I put it away. I would not own another splitter.

what does the gear reduction do for it? just slow the rpm's down?

Im not sure I follow the "gear reduction" system on the SE. Im used to gear reduction on props when changing out engines with completely different rev ranges or torque spec but not when the RPMs are so similar. the "clutch' seems like a good idea when i jam a crotchy round through.

be nice to get a small diesel engine back there too. wayyyy overkill but I like diesel and the rpm range is perfect for this operation. might not work well in the cold winters though.

I think the gear reduction helps prevent belt slipping with the bigger motor. It allows a bigger pulley at the motor thus giving more surface area to grip the belt. A tiny pulley with that much power would slip the belt. The HD slips the belt a little when stuck.

Nice info. Great photos Sam-tip. Wish Paul had more like it on his web site to help make the choice. I might have opted for the SE over the HD. Still, very happy with the HD performance. Four wheels and a wagon handle would help all of them.

Back