• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Which would you buy?

Joe Masters

Joe Masters

ArboristSite Lurker
Website
www.FulcrumTreeFelling.com

Attachments

Yarz

ArboristSite Member
It depends on the intended use. The main negative of the cheaper ones that I see is that they are only a dual action carabiner. So it seems that they are no safer than screw-lock carabiners, which I have read are not recommended in the tree industry. I typically see triple action (or greater, like the quadruple action you linked) being the recommended choice.

That said, for something other than my main life support, I'd likely opt for the inexpensive ones. I have some wiregate carabiners by the same company for a camping hammock, and those seem to be of decent quality.

Thanks for the link! I have them saved in my wishlist, in case I find a use.

greengreer

greengreer

ArboristSite Operative
Life support I wouldn't cheap out on. Dmm makes nice stuff, as does ISC, rock Exotica, and many others that are under $20 for an autolock aluminum carabiner.

NIP Group
ReddTigger

ReddTigger

ArboristSite Lurker
I watched a video where someone tested the cheap amazon biners and they did meet the ratings, ,but i agree with the person doing the video that for my life i'll spend the extra $20.00 on a known good brand..
sorry, but if I'm gonna save money on amazon, its not going to be something that my life depends on.