While I'm Not A Newbie,... Why Is Using Spikes to "Prune Only" A Bad Thing?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Here in N. Minnesota, not necessarily the twin metro, but hours N. of that...

Climbing with SRT or similar is not common. Using spikes for removal however, is.

Using spikes to remove a few dead limbs is common around here. I ask you fellow Arboristsite members the drawbacks or negs of using spikes for simple trimming jobs.

OK, more specific...

What are the disadvantages or negatives of trimming trees of their dead limbs and not full removals when the tree is fully alive and healthy?

I feel I know a few answers, but you guys are going to learn this dude some stuff. LOL!

Thanks!

StihlRockin'

The spikes will cause damage to the bark, phloem and cambium. The tree could get infected by that.
Spikes is fine for removal obviously. If you want to keep the tree "fully alive and healthy" I suggest that you prune spikeless.

Every spike mark will leave a wound an an entry location for infestation.

It is painfully obvious that spiking to prune a tree is not the correct means of caring for it and the scars look hideous for years to come. I have found that by practicing drt climbing even on a rig as simple as the Blake's hitch, you can be faster and more proficient at your work. With spikes, you will generally be limited to working the trunk of the tree, on drt you can limb walk and get to the outer branches for up close and precise trims. This is coming from someone who started out doing spike removals. It is liberating to learn how to navigate the whole tree and not be limited to hanging out near the trunk. Better learn your rope climbing and you will find that you will be more comfortable, do a better job and exert less energy in a tree to perform the same work. Good luck and safe climbing.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

The only time I've ever used spikes on a tree that was staying was to position myself on a dead limb that I was removing in sections, but I only spiked the dead limb so I could move out towards the end of it. My spikes never touched the live part of the tree.

I've seen trees that had been spiked, and they didn't die, but other did. I think the biggest risk of damaging a live tree by spiking it is the fact that spikes are normally used on dead trees, and many of those dead trees died from diseases, those diseases are probably on the spikes that are used on them, so spiking a live tree with infected spikes could possibly spread the infection from the spikes to the live tree.

The same thing goes for your cutting tools.

There are two situations where I could see spurs being used on live trees.

One, mature Douglas fir or sequoia where the dead bark is so thick, you would never reach the cork cambium let alone the cambium. However, I don't see any need as the tree would be so large that just trying to advance the lanyard would be such of a pain that rope climbing it would be worthwhile.

The second situation is a poor condition tree, a tree on the verge of being condemned but for whatever reason isn't and some deadwood/sketchy branches need to be removed. In this situation there may not be any good places to tie in and spurring the tree isn't going to create more problems than the tree already has.

To the *&!$% who did nothing to add to the post, but make semi-disparaging remarks, I pitty you. While I've been doing this longer than most of our employees have been alive and enjoying the benefits of self-employment since the 80's, just because I ask a question, it doesn't necessarily means it's from me directly. I ask because I know of several climbers in my area who prune live trees with spikes. I also KNOW most of the reasons NOT to climb healthy live trees with spikes. However, unlike you all, I learned to ask questions with humility.

I think I have a strong grasp on the negative reasons of climbing live trees with gaffs since I've been doing this professionally since most of you been alive, but when asking a question, I may just learn one more thing. I'm never too knowledgable to learn something new.

Since this forum went down, I had to resort to going to other forums and they talk much about this place having idiots. Now I'm not saying there are idiots here on this thread now, but I'm starting to understand what they are saying. If you ever get the feeling to leave stupid or non-helpful remarks, maybe it's best you just stop yourself and move on to another post before you embarrass yourself or let others know your true colors.

As for the few who took their valuable time and answered my questions, I sincerely appreciate your replies and am sorry you have to read the type of remarks this place has been rumored for, for quite some time now.

StihlRockin'

Last edited:
Another reason not to spike prunes, it exposes you for what ya really are.

If you spike a prune, your a hack, simple as that........

I will jump on that, see, the reason the others don't like this forum, is they come here, say they are the best, seasoned and have done it all, seen it all and give advice ..... on it all. Then they ask why it is bad to prune with spikes.

They get bashed, cant handle the heat, so they go to the kinder, gentler forum where everybody pats each other on the back, kinda like a "no child left behind" deal.

Maybe, if you asked in a different manner, you would get different responses. "I'm not a newb, but why is spiking bad". Not a good way to ask a Q. You have been doing this how long, and you don't know the answer?

BTW, quit talking trash about the whole site, while there are some major A holes here, they are consistent. Rather have a consistent A hole than a poser. They are individuals and do not speak for everyone.....most of the time.

Referring to the others forums while talking trash about this one, that will get you a permanent seat with the "others".

The fact that they talk trash, means they read and are afraid to post.

I generally try not to give guys a hard time in the 101 forum, they're here to learn after all and no question is too dumb. You talk about humility, but you've pretty much come in here and made an ass of yourself. By your own admission, presumably you've been climbing for around 30+ years, ran forums online, been a member of this site for 5 years, but you come on and ask newb questions, then chew people out for the answers they give you. You've got to rethink your approach to the job. Did you just wake up recently and start wondering about these basic things, after being in the industry so long? There's nothing wrong with that, but if that's the case then ask and listen. Two ears, one mouth and all that. Some of the comments you make really get alarm bells ringing, like you don't use your flipline much while spiking? What the ####!

When you're passionate about your job, you tend to take an interest in it. Like, if I was a chef, I'd be reading up on it every day, asking for advice, looking around, trying to work for the best in town so I could lift my game. I'd be looking into what was the best knife, how to sharpen it, different pots, recipes and so on. Well, there's chef's, then there's cooks, then there's slophouse workers. If you're coming onto a forum after 30 years as a 'chef' and asking how to peel a potato, then you're going to catch some grief.

There's nothing wrong with trying to lift your game, no matter how many years you've been in the game, or what level you're at.... but the attitude makes a difference. The guys that come on here with the attitude of "I been doing this my whole life, I don't need this crap, but tell me about it anyways" tend not to get the best advice. The questions you asked are sensible questions, and they've been asked many times before and answered well, but if you haven't taken an interest in the last 5 years you've been a member here, what's changed?

I agree with both here. I don't think a legitimate question should be answered with condescending sarcasm. I do think there are better ways to communicate. call him out on it, but be an adult. I just asked a chipper related question and I got an answer that said " you don't own a grease gun". I didn't even reply. I wanted to say " I own a grease gun but this is my first chipper you ignorant f*&k!". but theres no point. just ignore the people on their pedestals and thank the people that are there to help.

Yeah you've got to expect that from Jeff, that's just how he's wired. I've got to admit I almost 'liked' his post. But you got some very good advice shortly after, and didn't it turn out that you didn't realise there was a grease fitting there? I'm going to bet without even seeing that that lack of grease was a contributing factor, if not the main cause of your problem, so I guess everyone has their own way of 'helping'.

that's my point. I gathered from his comment that I needed to grease it. you can get the point even if its not the best way of communicating. but naturally your first reaction, and sometimes the only reaction, is to get upset. so its both ways and it will always be that way.

I've been a old growth faller in the PNW for 20 years, and before that I was a Stihl master technician for 10 years. I don't expect any of you guys to be able to answer this to my satisfaction, as you probably don't have my experience or abilities, but what are those pointy metal things attached to the saw chassis where the blade comes off? They seem like more of a hazard than anything useful??????

There dog's. Why do you think there hazardous.? Btw im talking about them pointed metal things.

I think this thread has gone off the wall. So I cant tell if you're serious or not.

Back