While I'm Not A Newbie,... Why Is Using Spikes to "Prune Only" A Bad Thing?"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All very plausible except its spelt ganoderma (and don't blame auto correct)
Which sort of renders the rest of your post worthless.
Better luck next time though!
4a5y8u9u.jpg

No, but I can blame distraction, horrible misspelling and auto correct.

sent using logic and reason from a device forged of witchcraft.

You really are screwed up. Oh well, cant say I am overly upset about it, hackers come and go. You are no different, cept ur from France. Been there, it smells of ****, guess it goes with the territory. When ya live in a place that has open sewers, guess it should only make sense that the most arrogant of people are full of **** too.

Hey! I'm arrogant! And I only poop once a day!

You really are screwed up. Oh well, cant say I am overly upset about it, hackers come and go. You are no different, cept ur from France. Been there, it smells of ****, guess it goes with the territory. When ya live in a place that has open sewers, guess it should only make sense that the most arrogant of people are full of **** too.

I can see I rather overestimated you.

La taupe- using spikes to prune a tree indicates a lack of ability to climb or plain ignorance. I could be wrong but I'm going to guess you are on the heavy side and find it difficult to balance your load on a limb with just your feet. You've just chosen the lazy way. IMO.

This is the 101 section for arborists, populated by experienced arborists helping less experienced arborists on an arborist website. Arborists should like trees. I go by industry best practice, regulations and experience, I would say we are open to new ideas but not ones that we know are wrong. Yes, some trees TOLERATE pollarding/topping and some trees tolerate spiking, the same way some people tolerate amputations and gunshot wounds. Just because they don't die doesn't mean it's good for them. I have yet to see a pollard that I like the look of even though I understand why they're done, London plane tolerates pollarding but any tree is happier if it doesn't have the **** hacked out of it, yes there are many pollarded trees but could it be done another way? Depending on species, probably. I have a friend who is a boxer, he can tolerate a good kicking, does that mean that he needs a good kicking regularly? Maybe I should organise a Maori to mangle him once a year or so and then tell everyone how good it was for him and how good he looks a year later, just in time for his next kicking. As far as I understand it original Pollarding is Coppicing but 2m/6'off the ground to stop beasts eating the regrowth, they were both used for producing a constant stream of timber of all sizes for uses from walking sticks to fence panels and building materials. If you go over a certain stem size then the chances of healthy regrowth diminish and you can lose the tree.
I worked on an old estate garden in Sussex where half a dozen apple trees and a yew were hacked in half by a moron, they survived and grew on, years later I am pruning them and what do I find? The apples are in beautiful health, although covered in epicormic shoots, the big problem is because they were topped the rot had started spreading all the way down the inside of the trunk, in fact one was so hollow and full of compost that I planted trailing flowers in all the flush cut rot holes up the trunk, now it's just a matter of time before they fail and for no other reason than some muppet had an idea. The Yew was the same but less advanced. Maybe the people here who's responses you don't like have first hand knowledge of why we prune the way we do. I hate climbing old regrowth on a badly pruned/topped tree, they're dangerous, fact. They also look like crap. Didn't Shigo talk about a trees dignity?

You ever seen a pollard after a hurricane?

Here, learning material...
http://southfloridahorticulture.com/hat-rack-horrors/

http://www.merchantcircle.com/blogs...is-it-illegal-in-the-State-of-Florida-/394711

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/Articles/id/580/read/Preparing-Your-Yard-for-a-Storm/

If not hat racked every time a hurricane gets too close for comfort all those weakly attached branches get nicely twisted and snapped off. Often creating a nice flying debris field.

La taupe- using spikes to prune a tree indicates a lack of ability to climb or plain ignorance. I could be wrong but I'm going to guess you are on the heavy side and find it difficult to balance your load on a limb with just your feet. You've just chosen the lazy way. IMO.

I can see I rather overestimated you.

Yeah, well, your attempt to make us believe that your are some hacker from France was fun...........MOLE. Going to start checking IP's to see who you really are. Or ya, could just fess up. It would be faster, but with the same result. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Danno? Is it you, trying to guess who would pick that up, La Tuape, and use it for a screen name, niooooce. Going to try and guess first. the IP thing will take all day.

Danno? Is it you, trying to guess who would pick that up, La Tuape, and use it for a screen name, niooooce. Going to try and guess first. the IP thing will take all day.
Can't you just pull his general address and ping it? Should give you a general area or take you to a known proxy.

Ah, pretty simple actually. Just check the ip address' his posts come from and you can do one or two things. Either ping it from one of the many sites (just Google ping ip) or simply Google the address its self.
If he's behind a proxy or firewall you can monitor his ip while he's online and backtrack.

If you need help I'm sure my friends at unleashedprepaids.com will be happy to help, blast and I have dealt with a few unfriendlies over the years.

This is the 101 section for arborists, populated by experienced arborists helping less experienced arborists on an arborist website. Arborists should like trees. I go by industry best practice, regulations and experience, I would say we are open to new ideas but not ones that we know are wrong. Yes, some trees TOLERATE pollarding/topping and some trees tolerate spiking, the same way some people tolerate amputations and gunshot wounds. Just because they don't die doesn't mean it's good for them. I have yet to see a pollard that I like the look of even though I understand why they're done, London plane tolerates pollarding but any tree is happier if it doesn't have the **** hacked out of it, yes there are many pollarded trees but could it be done another way? Depending on species, probably. I have a friend who is a boxer, he can tolerate a good kicking, does that mean that he needs a good kicking regularly? Maybe I should organise a Maori to mangle him once a year or so and then tell everyone how good it was for him and how good he looks a year later, just in time for his next kicking. As far as I understand it original Pollarding is Coppicing but 2m/6'off the ground to stop beasts eating the regrowth, they were both used for producing a constant stream of timber of all sizes for uses from walking sticks to fence panels and building materials. If you go over a certain stem size then the chances of healthy regrowth diminish and you can lose the tree.
I worked on an old estate garden in Sussex where half a dozen apple trees and a yew were hacked in half by a moron, they survived and grew on, years later I am pruning them and what do I find? The apples are in beautiful health, although covered in epicormic shoots, the big problem is because they were topped the rot had started spreading all the way down the inside of the trunk, in fact one was so hollow and full of compost that I planted trailing flowers in all the flush cut rot holes up the trunk, now it's just a matter of time before they fail and for no other reason than some muppet had an idea. The Yew was the same but less advanced. Maybe the people here who's responses you don't like have first hand knowledge of why we prune the way we do. I hate climbing old regrowth on a badly pruned/topped tree, they're dangerous, fact. They also look like crap. Didn't Shigo talk about a trees dignity?

Ok I won't cover every point but let's pick a few.
Why do people anthropomorphise trees all the time? Your friend being a boxer etc has diddly squat to do with Pollarding trees. It's silly to make the comparison.
Trees are not happy or sad again they are not people or animals.
Plane and limes are planted precisely because the will tolerate heavy pruning or Pollarding. In an urban situation if you want a tree of say 10 mtrs you let it get to 10 mtrs then after a bit prune it wait a few years prune it again, why is that so bad? As long as you've picked the right species there's no problem.
Yews don't like to be hit hard, we all know that. Nothing new in that, they do make good hedges and topiary or is that ruining their dignity!
Pruning fruit Trees has little to do with what most people do on here.
Finally, Shigo broke new ground in tree biology sure, but why is his every utterance treated like the Word of the Prophet? "Didn't Shigo talk about tree dignity?" So what?
Ps where in Sussex were you? My home county.

Yeah, well, your attempt to make us believe that your are some hacker from France was fun...........MOLE. Going to start checking IP's to see who you really are. Or ya, could just fess up. It would be faster, but with the same result. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

How did you find out about MOLE? Oh yeah there's a picture of one right there!
I'll let you have your fun, I think you'll be surprised!
Ah, pretty simple actually. Just check the ip address' his posts come from and you can do one or two things. Either ping it from one of the many sites (just Google ping ip) or simply Google the address its self.
If he's behind a proxy or firewall you can monitor his ip while he's online and backtrack.

If you need help I'm sure my friends at unleashedprepaids.com will be happy to help, blast and I have dealt with a few unfriendlies over the years.

Who's being unfriendly? I've could go back on these thread and count the insults and casual racism directed towards me, no sweat, I knew I wasn't going to be making a lot of friends with this stance. The worst things I've said are "Nonsense" and "laughable" hardly the work of a troll is it?

How did you find out about MOLE? Oh yeah there's a picture of one right there!
I'll let you have your fun, I think you'll be surprised!

Who's being unfriendly? I've could go back on these thread and count the insults and casual racism directed towards me, no sweat, I knew I wasn't going to be making a lot of friends with this stance. The worst things I've said are "Nonsense" and "laughable" hardly the work of a troll is it?

Sorry, bad choice of words. That's just what we call people we suspect may not be who they say or are likely banned users under a different name.

Crowborough, Balcombe, Haywards Heath, Findon, Heathfield, finished at Plumpton in 2001, born in New Forest, Hampshire though, dad's side have been in the woods for centuries and mums side were from Chatham, Kent. As we are both English, we are technically allowed to dislike the French, as people they are beautiful but as a country they suck ass. I think the boxer example is applicable, a tree gets cut, it loses a large chunk of its balanced system and it goes into shock, it reacts by growing in an unnatural exaggerated fashion and just as it gets its health back it is cut again, just as my friend would recover in time for a good kicking. I understand pollarding and the why's and wherefores but I just don't like it, it's not natural for a tree to lose all its branches on a regular basis. The old style Coppicing and pollarding was different in as much as it was farmed and it wasn't allowed to get to full grown tree size.

Back