White birch for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I burn in a franklin stove,i like birch, it dries quickly and lights well. Then I toss in other stuff, usually maple around here.

Is White Birch any good for firewood? Thanks in advance. Rob

Definitely underrated IMO. Be sure to start it hot and burn off the VOCs before choking down the stove- the bark is a prodigious soot and black smoke producer. It's the wood of choice in much of Canada due to it's abundance.

Easy to split and fun to mill too!

Chris

Burns well. It doesn't keep that long, however (begins to rot rather quickly).

As others have said, it burns well, but fast. It takes longer to dry if not split fine, as the bark retains moisture in the wood. I have burned white birch for a few years, mostly during shoulder seasons. The best is two years dry. Carpenter ants love the stuff, as do paper wasps.
It is not the wood of choice in this part of Canada, but west of Lake Superior it is the best of what is available. My parents lived out west for ten years and burned only white birch with no problems. Just a lot more wood moving.

Ryan

Keep it dry. It will rot away if it just thinks it might get wet. Otherwise, it burns - just quickly. A good gopher wood.

Makes decent firewood, as stated does burn fast. Also IMHO you have to split if fast it rots from the inside out unlike most other firewood.

Makes decent firewood, as stated does burn fast. Also IMHO you have to split if fast it rots from the inside out unlike most other firewood.

Exactly, you have to split it almost as soon as it hits the ground. The bark is so tight that it holds the moisture in and it rots from the inside out.

I burn lots of it, not great wood, but not bad. Careful of flare ups.

Yellow birch is a much better wood.

Paper/White Birch is the choice for firewood where it grows most in northern regions. Here in Downeast coastal Maine it's a "pioneer" species fast to take over following cuts of spruce/fir woodlands. It's easily 50% or more of our 5-8 cords/year out of the woodlots for our 100% wood heating. It is a "tolerant" fast growing species allowing other trees to take over.

As said, it does pooch (rot ) in a year IF you don't slice the bark when bucking; even then it won't store well for more than a season. Usually splits easily, is lighter than most woods, and starts fast if seasoned.

Good carving wood, mills well for flooring or furniture, and the bark is still used by skilled craftsmen for canoes.

I do have a serious case of Oak Envy.:jawdrop: Why most of the finer hardwood species --oaks, hickory, wlanut, etc...-- are abundant too far south in the no-snowbelt is beyond me.:confused:

Tight Bark

Exactly, you have to split it almost as soon as it hits the ground. The bark is so tight that it holds the moisture in and it rots from the inside out.

I burn lots of it, not great wood, but not bad. Careful of flare ups.

Yellow birch is a much better wood.
Terrific information. I had forgotten about that tight bark holding the moisture in. Two weeks ago I bucked up a truckload of white birch and stacked the rounds. The tree was about 25 years old and threatened a house, so it had to come down.

I'll split it next week while still green. The ends are already checking up. Some peoiple use white birch logs to decorate the fireplace in the off season.

Definitely underrated IMO. Be sure to start it hot and burn off the VOCs before choking down the stove- the bark is a prodigious soot and black smoke producer. It's the wood of choice in much of Canada due to it's abundance.

Easy to split and fun to mill too!

Chris

What Chris said. We only have middle of the road wood here. WB, black ash, red maple, all hovering around 20 MBTU/cord. I've been burning about 9-10 cord/year of that mix, though I'm moving exclusively into black ash this coming year because of its abundance and ease of splitting. By far the best splitting wood of the three because of its straight grain and lack of knots.

banshee67 said:
dont know about white birch, but i got some black birch outside

Boy, could I go for some black birch firewood. GOOOOOOOOOD BTUs there! :)

Last edited:
Here's a part of ad from Edmonton ,
FIREWOOD CHOICES ARE
POPULAR $175.00 PER CORD BAGS $4.50
SPRUCE/PINE MIX $250.00 PER CORD BAGS $5.00
TAMARACK $325.00 PER CORD BAGS $6.00
BIRCH $400.00 PER CORD BAGS $7.50

I think that they are quite proud of their birch (yes it's white birch ) and delivery is extra .

:cheers:

Here's a part of ad from Edmonton ,
FIREWOOD CHOICES ARE
POPULAR $175.00 PER CORD BAGS $4.50
SPRUCE/PINE MIX $250.00 PER CORD BAGS $5.00
TAMARACK $325.00 PER CORD BAGS $6.00
BIRCH $400.00 PER CORD BAGS $7.50

I think that they are quite proud of their birch (yes it's white birch ) and delivery is extra .

:cheers:

Lots of places in the Great White North where white (paper) birch brings a premium for fireplaces because of the romance of it all. :) :)

I burned half a cord of tamarack two winters ago and it put out a lot of heat. Got a nice tidy BTU rating, does tamarack. ;)

Betula pendula, silver birch, and Betula pubescens, white birch....

Birch is an amazing tree that have made people, in the arctic region, happy for 1000+years....
The outside bark is so water repellent so it makes very good roofing, and it last almost a lifetime.....
A few strips of that bark in the hikers back pack is a "life saver" while hiking....great fire starter....
The birch bark is also used for a lot of nice handcraft and art, especially in the Scandinavian native culture, the Lapplanders....

Yes that bark, is devastating for the seasoning of birch, if logs not get split soon.....if logs are split, the bar wont do nay harm if logs are stored dry, and off from the ground...

This bark peels easy off the the living tree in the spring, just before leaves bud out....and the tree wont die from that harvest either....cut through the bark vertically with a sharp knife, and peels off around the stem....huge sheets will come out, and they will be about 1/16" thick...

This wall art work is made from birch bark....
hagnestad.jpg

This may all be true about Birch but in the Edmonton area, it is the preferred fire pit wood. The other choices such as Spruce, Pine, Poplar, etc... spit and spark too much.

I cut and split my own firewood and I find with the birch that it does not split well unless very dry. I haven't had a problem with it rotting although I rarely have any wood last more than a year later.

Back