white birch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan R

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a bunch of small dim. 3'' -6'' white birch i cut and wanted to know if this will rot like large birch does if not split,i dont want to split it ,not worth the labor thanks

Yes, it can rot. Very quick depending on conditions.

If I am doing small birch I don't think needs split, I will run the chainsaw down the length of it before I cut it into rounds. Maybe twice, rolling it over & doing the opposite side. 'Unzipping' it. Makes a place for moisture to get out from under the bark. Usually goes pretty quick.

White Birch is the best hardwood we have 'up' here in the north.
It will rot if left for a few years. At least get some bark off or like mentioned, score it with the saw.
If it was harvested with a machine chances are the bark got scun up by the machine/rollers and that's almost enough . I cut a bunch of wood up last year that was in 8' for several years and ithad gone rotten. it won't dry well unless it's split or the bark is opened up.

It'll dry from the ends.

My own firewood isn't under cover and I usually don't split anything smaller than ~4-5".
I've not had any rot in the 2-3 years it sits before burning.

It'll rot here on the East Coast unless split or as NSMaple1 said and zip up the bark twice .
The average humidity here is too high so rounds big or small wont dry from the ends .

Latest posts

Back