White Oak takes forever to dry.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marley5

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I use to laugh at posts on here about people letting green Oak season for a couple years before burning, not any more.

I had a big White Oak fall on my truck last December so I cut it up immediately " had to " and stacked in sun.
It's a year old and sizzling, spitting moisture.

I have an OWB and close to 15 cords of well seasoned Oak so doesn't really matter, I'll get back to it next year.

Just surprised cause of the hot dry summer we had but also, I've always cut standing deads.20190212_140351.jpg

I use to laugh at posts on here about people letting green Oak season for a couple years before burning, not any more.

I had a big White Oak fall on my truck last December so I cut it up immediately " had to " and stacked in sun.
It's a year old and sizzling, spitting moisture.

I have an OWB and close to 15 cords of well seasoned Oak so doesn't really matter, I'll get back to it next year.

Just surprised cause of the hot dry summer we had but also, I've always cut standing deads.View attachment 777474

Is it appropriate to yell avalanche when that tree fell?

Despite the unfortunate event of how that fell on your truck this picture is pretty cool how the everything is lying there

This picture also reminds me how much I hate cutting trees that have fallen on driveways.

I have red oak that is 3 years old and is finally Approaching dry enough to burn.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Here it takes about two months or cold winter to dry our wood out. All you have to do is move to California and you are all set. If you are struggling during the summer you have a problem. Some concepts that work really well are to use a fan when you have dry weather. Wood must be split well first then use a larger ventilating shop fan or squirrel cage. I can not imagine taking more than a month with a fan. Thanks

With white oak, the wait is worth it.
A friend gave me some big rounds of sassafras he had cut out of a food plot. They had been piled up for two or 3 years.
I brought them home and split them, moisture still oozed out. I stacked the splits in a shed for a year and they dried out and made wonderful stove wood.

Well dang it !! Now I feel obligated to impress the arborists with another truck.

Is my replacement truck satisfactory ?
If not I'll likely trade it in :D.
View attachment 777511
Idk if I would park it in the same spot. But the. Again maybe u really wanted a ford so your hoping another oak will find its way there. Just kidding. Nice truck

Idk if I would park it in the same spot. But the. Again maybe u really wanted a ford so your hoping another oak will find its way there. Just kidding. Nice truck

If you look behind the Truck you can see where I dropped another big chestnut Oak that could have been an issue so maybe I can keep this one awhile.

Just went from the 6.4 to the 6.7 cummins. Really liked the 6.4. Great gas motor.
How do You like the 6.7? My boss bought one to toe the skid steer and mini around and at first i thought it had good power now I just notice the torque taking off more than power pulling a hill. My f150 with the 5.0 will pull hills the same with the skid steer as the Cummins will which I’m not a diesel guy but something isn’t right. I think it has close to 30,000 on it now.

How do You like the 6.7? My boss bought one to toe the skid steer and mini around and at first i thought it had good power now I just notice the torque taking off more than power pulling a hill. My f150 with the 5.0 will pull hills the same with the skid steer as the Cummins will which I’m not a diesel guy but something isn’t right. I think it has close to 30,000 on it now.

I've been towing for 20+ years with a variety of trucks......no comparison between gas engines vs Diesel.

My brother tows a 21ft log trailer with his 6.7 Cummins like nothing.

Something isn't right with your boss's truck......6.7 is a beast.

I like it. Does tow better than my 6.4 but that motor was no slouch. I did delete it and change the exhaust so it runs a little hotter. Guessing he has something going on. When I hauled my buddies skid steer the other day I didn't even notice it back there besides his unbalanced trailer tires.

Most i towed with my 6.4 was a tad over 15,000 LBS.

Truck is a 2016 Crew Cab, 4x4, 3500 SRW, Long Bed, 6.4 hemi with 35” tires and re-geared to 4.88’s. I wish i went 5.13’s. But its still much better than stock 3.73’s and 33” tires.

It did fine with 15,000lbs but it is no diesel. It is definitely impressive for a gasser truck.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

With white oak, the wait is worth it.
A friend gave me some big rounds of sassafras he had cut out of a food plot. They had been piled up for two or 3 years.
I brought them home and split them, moisture still oozed out. I stacked the splits in a shed for a year and they dried out and made wonderful stove wood.
how long was the white oak split?

Back