White smoke billowing out of chimneys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hardly have any smoke coming out of my chimney, but I burn seasoned wood and burn hot with a fairly recent (1993) woodstove. My neighbor, however, who sells firewood (much, much more than me) burns in a woodstove that "came with the house" and everytime that he's burning it looks like steam emitting from a nuclear power plant. Is this an indication that he is burning unseasoned wood, wet wood, and using a not-very efficient stove? Occasionally he has a load of wood sitting in the back of his truck ready for delivery, and you only have to get within 12 feet or so to smell the aroma of the freshly-cut splits. To each his own-but he really smogs up the neighborhood! :laugh:
i problably load my stove up to much also...i like to see the smoke coming from the chimney..on a cold calm nite ill pack the stove run outside in my boxers freeze my bag off just to watch the smoke....he he..nothing like a full wood box during a winter storm.......

I run ours about 350 F to 450 F

...yep, i keep mine in those ranges, happy stove, happy neighbors.

...my dear young wife left to her own devices, runs it 100 degrees or so hotter, somewhat less happy stove, even happier neighbors...

...ya know, we all need to do it right, and advocate doing it right...unless of course we care to have the government decide what we can heat with...

...there's a few brand-spankin' new high dollar epa stoves around me, and i'll tell ya, no matter what you spend, common sense is NOT included...

where are you guys measuring that 350 to 450 degrees at?

mine runs high as 650 degrees, measured on side walls near burn zone. air exit temp is 250 degree when running that high. normally I'll run it for air exit temps of 165-175 degrees.

my longest burn time was 16 hours using two round logs 24in x 10in.
normal burntime is 3-8 hours depending upon size and type of wood. since my firebox is 12 cubic feet, I can load a LOT of wood. but usually will load up maybe 1/3 - 1/2 full.

going through under one cord per month.
what size fireboxes are you using?

mine's measured on the top of the stove, somewhat removed from the firebox...i reckon we're in the same ballpark.

i problably load my stove up to much also...i like to see the smoke coming from the chimney..on a cold calm nite ill pack the stove run outside in my boxers freeze my bag off just to watch the smoke....he he..nothing like a full wood box during a winter storm.......

Me too!!! 19 degrees F. No wind and the smoke coming out thick. Looks cool!!!

My thermometer is about 12" above the top of my stove. I will let it run a little warmer if it is in the 20's F or below.

mine barely gets warm on outside of insert. seems most of the heat has been routed to heat exchanger/blower.

just took a set of readings... 154 degree air temp coming out of blower. outside of insert is 121 degrees. internal firebox is 489

Last edited:
the jerk two houses down must be burning his trash today. i went outside and the front yards were filled with white smoke, but it sure didn't smell like wood. the smell was so rancid, it got to the point where i had to go back inside. that's how bad it smelled. what an ???????.

it's people like that that cause problems for everyone else.

Okay, I just took some stat readings for reference.
Air temp coming from the top center exit holes for the blower: 245 F.
Flue temp. measured off of flue wall on exterior 10" above stove: 366 F
Magnetic thermostat on flue 10" above stove reads 400 F.

Our stove is made by Long Manufacturing (Here when we bought the house). We use it to heat about 2600 Sq. Ft. not including the basement where the stove is located. Does a good job to about 25 F. The 2nd floor runs a little chilly, but great for sleeping!

Latest posts

Back