Who cuts and burns pinyon pine?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawinredneck said:
So zemo, seeing a road trip in youre future?

Yeah, Andy, you gonna set up the distribution chain? They're selling one cubic foot for $40, times the 128 cubic feet in a full cord that'd be a leetle over 5 thousand bucks a cord, not too bad for a days work. How we gonna carve them rounds up into baseballs, though?

Well, there is a place not ten miles from my house, twelve from the woodlot:hmm3grin2orange: that sells this crap!!! Me thinks it wouldn't be hard to under bid, if we can come up with the quantities, you deliver, and I will figure out a way to procces it, I promise!!! For that kind of jack, I could build a pourpose splitter/procceser!! No, around here they are about four to six inches long pieces.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........................................
I have another three chunks of H-beam sitting around, HMMMMMMMMMMM...........
Andy

i cut alot pinon. it is the most popular firewood i sell. burns very well, and put out alot of btu's. some of it burns like coal. keep the fire hot, and it doesnt present a problem for the flue. have been thinking about milling some of it, as it has some interesting grain sometimes.

sawinredneck said:
Well, there is a place not ten miles from my house, twelve from the woodlot:hmm3grin2orange: that sells this crap!!! Me thinks it wouldn't be hard to under bid, if we can come up with the quantities, you deliver, and I will figure out a way to procces it, I promise!!! For that kind of jack, I could build a pourpose splitter/procceser!! No, around here they are about four to six inches long pieces.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...........................................
I have another three chunks of H-beam sitting around, HMMMMMMMMMMM...........
Andy

Well, this actually is possible. Too bad I don't have any midwest ties anymore, I grew up in IN, but escaped as soon as I was able, and my parents are gone, so I have no reason to go back there. BUT, a 5-cord truck, with a little extra room for some "chimineas" (which I'm sure you can buy for nothing along the border), and it'd be real hard not to make at least a little money. How much wood are they selling for how much in your area? And it's just short lengths, no "baseball" nonsense?

spencerhenry said:
i cut alot pinon. it is the most popular firewood i sell. burns very well, and put out alot of btu's. some of it burns like coal. keep the fire hot, and it doesnt present a problem for the flue. have been thinking about milling some of it, as it has some interesting grain sometimes.

Thanks. That's good info. What other kind of wood do you cut? Is the pinyon you're cutting Pinus edulis, if you don't mind my asking? I guess I'd better go cut another $5000 worth tomorrow:hmm3grin2orange: :blob2:

Not sure how much, I can check if you want, I do know they normally bring it in by the semi trailer,and this is just one store, the main seller around here, that is the main source for Wichita. HMMMMMMMMMMM......................
Andy

sawinredneck said:
Not sure how much, I can check if you want, I do know they normally bring it in by the semi trailer,and this is just one store, the main seller around here, that is the main source for Wichita. HMMMMMMMMMMM......................
Andy

Yeah, please do check. I'm not sure that I'm serious at this point, but maybe. Somebody's making a lot of money. It must be coming from NM or southern CO.Later, Alan.

Zemo,
A lot of folks burn Pinon here in Southern New Mexico. They like a Pinon/Juniper mixed cord. The wood yard I sell to is always looking for it to sell to the Kiva/chimenea owners.

Spencerhenry,
I tried milling some, and by the time it dried it looked like a corkscrew. That grain is weird.

Andy

I have one of these chimenea thingys in my backyard.

I cut down a dead spruce this summer and burned that. Very nice smelling.

I thought of selling the spruce for the same purpose, but didnt want to put in the labor of busting up such small pieces. Id think though if you cut the logs into the 6" lengths and then stack several on the splitter at once, it may be easieer to split. That or make an adapter on the splitter that would hold the wood while allowing the splitting wedge to go past the bottom of the wood chunk. (my splitter stops 2" from the bottom)

As for selling pine species, around here its hard to GIVE the stuff away for house fireplaces, much less sell it.

redprospector said:
Zemo,
A lot of folks burn Pinon here in Southern New Mexico. They like a Pinon/Juniper mixed cord. The wood yard I sell to is always looking for it to sell to the Kiva/chimenea owners.

Spencerhenry,
I tried milling some, and by the time it dried it looked like a corkscrew. That grain is weird.

Andy

It's really weird, but around the Glenwood/Gila area no one wants to burn pinyon. Everyone just flat hates it, although few of them have actually burned it. Oh well, makes easy cutting for me.

I've heard good things about the Cloudcroft area, will have to take a motorcycle camping trip over there and check it out.

You might plan a trip in September. Ruidoso has the "Aspencade" motorcycle rally, and we have a car show, and of course our Lumberjack competition.

Andy

Red;
Is the ski area open again? We own 10 acres in Cox Canyon, very close to you. Haven't been in the area in excess of 16 years. Wife was ski school instructor mid 80s. I was stationed at Holloman while T-38s were supported by military.

Last edited:
The only thing keeping the ski area from opening is the lack of snow.
We have had a little, but they need more to open. It's been a rough few years for those guys.

Cox canyon is a beautiful area, I envy you. I live right in town.

Andy

Back