Who does not burn wood..??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Built my house 20 yrs ago on a woodlot. Wanted a woodstove but sadly I installed gas fireplace and....although it is nice I wish it was wood.
Now I have an over abundance of dead ash falling/need to come down. Been cutting and splitting for past 4 yrs and selling it cheap to get rid of it.
Now having a hard time justifying the cost of a woodstove installation. Take quite a few years to recoup the cost with the little savings I would have on the gas bill.

Not me either. Used to sell firewood because we were in tree biz. We had a fireplace in our first house and wood stove for garage but insurance company didn't want to hear about a woodstove for the new house so no more wood . Just use kerosene heater for machine shed and propane heater for the small shop where I do tinker projects on saws.

Do I miss it, not really . Much easier to turn on the heaters and shut off when down and forget about them.

Built my house 20 yrs ago on a woodlot. Wanted a woodstove but sadly I installed gas fireplace and....although it is nice I wish it was wood.
Now I have an over abundance of dead ash falling/need to come down. Been cutting and splitting for past 4 yrs and selling it cheap to get rid of it.
Now having a hard time justifying the cost of a woodstove installation. Take quite a few years to recoup the cost with the little savings I would have on the gas bill.

If I had natural gas I'm not sure I'd burn wood. But who knows I also have a ton of ash and already have the wood furnace. If I had natural gas it would eliminate my propane bill and cut my electric bill in half. Wood heat saves me at least 1000 dollars a year on propane and motivates me to cut this ash down.

Not me either. Used to sell firewood because we were in tree biz. We had a fireplace in our first house and wood stove for garage but insurance company didn't want to hear about a woodstove for the new house so no more wood . Just use kerosene heater for machine shed and propane heater for the small shop where I do tinker projects on saws.

Do I miss it, not really . Much easier to turn on the heaters and shut off when down and forget about them.

Lots of insurance companies out there. It's amazing how different they are and what they do and don't cover.

Living in my "homeless shelter" RV has opened my eyes to the cost of buying propane in bottles. I have plenty of wood split and nowhere to burn it. I have found that those little 30lb propane bottles don't last long when your heating and cooking with it. It always runs out around midnight when its cold and raining outside. I had a 100gal tank delivered last week and hope that will last most of the winter. The biggest drawback to propane is the condensation it creates in the windows and the slide outs. I bought 2 small dehumidifiers and plugged them in yesterday and hope that will help. I am using the electric heat mostly for heating until it gets really cold. Humidity isn't as great with the electric, but it will freeze you out when the temps drop to low 30's. I also just completed under pinning the RV last week and I can tell a big difference in the ability to heat and keep warm. Hopefully I will only have to do this for one winter and will be in my new house next fall. Time will tell, but I will have a wood stove somewhere in my house design.

Living in my "homeless shelter" RV has opened my eyes to the cost of buying propane in bottles. I have plenty of wood split and nowhere to burn it. I have found that those little 30lb propane bottles don't last long when your heating and cooking with it. It always runs out around midnight when its cold and raining outside. I had a 100gal tank delivered last week and hope that will last most of the winter. The biggest drawback to propane is the condensation it creates in the windows and the slide outs. I bought 2 small dehumidifiers and plugged them in yesterday and hope that will help. I am using the electric heat mostly for heating until it gets really cold. Humidity isn't as great with the electric, but it will freeze you out when the temps drop to low 30's. I also just completed under pinning the RV last week and I can tell a big difference in the ability to heat and keep warm. Hopefully I will only have to do this for one winter and will be in my new house next fall. Time will tell, but I will have a wood stove somewhere in my house design.

It all depends on the heat source natural gas creates a lot of condensation also. Forced air dries the air out real well.

Does a firepit disqualify me from joining this thread?

I only cut and make firewood with trees that die on my 5 acres or my father's place. I have 3 or 4 people that come to my place and buy a $50 pickup load once or twice a year. It is on the honor system and I have only met 1 of the people that grab wood. That amounts to only 1 to 2 trees a year but this year dad had some live trees cut down as well. I had 6 mature trees that I had to pile brush, cut, split and stack. Only able to work on weekends and by the end of 5 months I was sick of looking at wood.

I plan to build a small ranch home that I will heat with wood when I retire. Propane does not heat like a woodstove but it is a lot less work.

Are you planning on a free standing wood stove in the new house? Or hot air furnace? Boiler?

I see a lot of add on wood furnaces on marketplace for cheap. You could set it outside and run a duct in through a window. Maybe a crude set up, but it’s temporary. If you don’t want the wood furnace in the new house, just sell it in spring.

I only burn in my campfire ring. Less than 1 cord a year. I do cook all of my dinners with wood when I'm at camp though. Now that I have a decent amount split and seasoned I may burn in my fireplace next winter. I have a blower on it but its very loud so mostly we just burn firelogs.
I sell 8-10 cord a yr.

Back