Who does the best Woods Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have made this a poll but i knew i would not get all the builders on there.

Tell us why you think who does the best powertuning.

Lets keep it cool..... no need to get people....
banned.gif

Madsen's are the only ones I'v heard about power tuning from (I think they have stopped that). Dean does work mods for a living (washinton pro saws) and he has a good reputation at it. Their are alot of people that will do it but I don't think they would want alot of people knowing about it (some of the best in fact) they do it more or less as a hobby.

It would be nice to know who on this site is willing to do such mods for the public and then we chose from that.

It would be nice to know who on this site is willing to do such mods for the public and then we chose from that.

It is time consuming work, and most guys don't want to do it as a career. The guys who do mod saws here and there don't want to buy into site sponsorship so they can advertise here for a multitude of reasons. Keep your ears open and you will hear some names. Word of mouth is how most of us work.

Last edited:
Are you just looking for trouble,,,,,,,???????

:monkey: :dizzy: :monkey: :confused:

See what you started!!!!!!!

BTW,,,,, Dean is pretty dern good,,,,,,, and he dont live too too far from Slinger?????????? Hmmm??

I wonder if there is a corelation???????

HMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Freak does good work, TreeSlinger does good work, Dean used to do good work but he seems to have dopped out for now. EHP makes a good woods saw, but you have to get ahold of him and do a four point drop to get it to him.
There are quite a few others that come o mind, bu they may be like me, just tinker wih their own stuff and don't want the problems with doing work for others.

Why don't you figure out what saw you want to mod, do some reading, buy a Dremel and try youreslf! It really isn't that hard if you have any mechanical inclination at all. Just go a little at a time and watch it wake up.

I didn't think Dennis would ever stoop low enough to just do a "woodsport":jawdrop:

Hey Lakeside.....I was porting work saws before you were using JBweld.....Hahahahahahaha!

I've just moved on to bigger and more powerful saws......Stock saws are for "Culls"

IMG_0235.jpg

Last edited:
I do not understand why there have been so many horror stories about builders. Not just one or two either. Everyone makes a mistake now or then, but some of these stories have been ugly. You'll find people for and against probably every builder out there.

It was because of these and my own experiences that I began doing my own work. I'm glad that I did. Now I don't have to come up with $200-$300 for each saw to get it modded. I also don't have to wonder when or what I'm going to get back. Unfortunately, not everyone can or desires to do their own. All I can say is, do your homework, ask around, and make the best decision you can. For sure, there are some good builders out there.

Freak does good work, TreeSlinger does good work, Dean used to do good work but he seems to have dopped out for now. EHP makes a good woods saw, but you have to get ahold of him and do a four point drop to get it to him.
There are quite a few others that come o mind, bu they may be like me, just tinker wih their own stuff and don't want the problems with doing work for others.

Why don't you figure out what saw you want to mod, do some reading, buy a Dremel and try youreslf! It really isn't that hard if you have any mechanical inclination at all. Just go a little at a time and watch it wake up.
I like that point of going a little bit at a time! I am just a fire wood cutter but like my saw's to feel snappy! In the future I am going to port my 2152 and I will do it myself with the help of on line support:) A case of dark beer or bottle of fine Canadian whiskey can buy me machine shop work lol or a simple trade of glass bedding a rifle for a machinist.I am lucky and in a way upset I have never had a saw die on me so no reason to tear them down and work on them so I lack experience but always's willing to learn, lot's of info on this sight. I have ton's of tools and measuring devices, tachs, comp testers, vacuum gauges. so I am ready lol. I know this does not help the original poster but I hear of a certain Canuck down east,does some of the best work on chainsaw's:cheers:

I do not understand why there have been so many horror stories about builders. Not just one or two either. Everyone makes a mistake now or then, but some of these stories have been ugly. You'll find people for and against probably every builder out there.

It was because of these and my own experiences that I began doing my own work. I'm glad that I did. Now I don't have to come up with $200-$300 for each saw to get it modded. I also don't have to wonder when or what I'm going to get back. Unfortunately, not everyone can or desires to do their own. All I can say is, do your homework, ask around, and make the best decision you can. For sure, there are some good builders out there.

You just got my vote! I would quite like a Snellerized saw Look i even do the Snellerized writing :cheers:

That's because some folks expect too much! You always take a chance when you mod something that's how I look at it.

Any "cull" can build a woods port and there's plenty of information on the web to help. Who can't cut a couple of holes in the exhaust or pull out a gasket and make a saw run better. You don't need a saw builder.....figure out how to do it yourself.:monkey: :cheers:

You shouldn't need to take a chance when you mod something. It's not a dice game if you have any idea what you are trying to achieve. I think one problem is a lot of people don't know what they want, delt with some people who have a clear idea of what they want the saw for and it has worked out well. Yet there are others asking to build work saws at the ragged edge of being race saws, and they get upset when the saw is less than ideal for real work, others want a work saw that will take day to day abuse, but then expect them to win races...

You shouldn't need to take a chance when you mod something. It's not a dice game if you have any idea what you are trying to achieve. I think one problem is a lot of people don't know what they want, delt with some people who have a clear idea of what they want the saw for and it has worked out well. Yet there are others asking to build work saws at the ragged edge of being race saws, and they get upset when the saw is less than ideal for real work, others want a work saw that will take day to day abuse, but then expect them to win races...
That's a better way to put it than I did! +1

Any "cull" can build a woods port and there's plenty of information on the web to help. Who can't cut a couple of holes in the exhaust or pull out a gasket and make a saw run better. You don't need a saw builder.....figure out how to do it yourself.:monkey: :cheers:
There is lot's of guy's that don't even have a simple micrometer to measure squish! Just drilling holes in a muffler without taking out the metal chips will lead to more problems than worth! I agree ton's of info on the web that's were I get it from. It's in how you apply that info.

Just look at what Gypo could do with a rat tail file!!

My saws are "woods ported". I have no idea how to port a race saw. Nor do I have the equipment/machinery to do it. I like my saws fast but have no dliusions that they are race winners. I want a fast saw, but one that can be used all day cutting firewood. My modded MS460 is 50% faster than my Dad's bone stock 046. Your mileage may vary. Big gains are to be had with a woods port, but still doesn't even come close to a race saw. A race saw probably wouldn't last 15 minutes as a firewood saw. Two totally different animals. I have no idea how to do boost port, finger ports and the like.

Don't even think about modding your saw if you're not capable of neat careful work. You can't just do sloppy work and expect it to perform and last. A steady hand and an "even eye" are a must. Ports must be symetrical.

Do your homework and read, read, read. Ask lots of question.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you can build a fast saw yourself. Just have some realistic expectations. However, the same applies to having a "builder" do it for your. I expect my woods ported saw to be more than just a tiny bit faster than a stock saw. Unfortunately, it happens. Just hopefully not to you:)

You just got my vote! I would quite like a Snellerized saw Look i even do the Snellerized writing :cheers:

You know you want my 066 RL:) I tell you what though. I'd never port a saw for pay. #1, there is always a risk that something could go wrong. I don't care how careful you are. #2, it's not worth the pay. I put way more time and work into it than I'd want to do for $200. Of course it would make a big difference if I had the high dollar Foredom grinders and such, but I'm just a hobbiest. This 066 will be the first ported saw I sell and it's not by design. I intended to keep this saw but stumbled onto the 660 that's coming tomorrow. My hat's off to those guys that are willing to provide this service to those that want to pay to have it done.

Latest posts

Back