Who does the best Woods Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RiverRat2 said:
BTW,,,,, Dean is pretty dern good,,,,,,, and he dont live too too far from Slinger?????????? Hmmm??

They live more than one state from each other. Sling'r is in central-northern California and Dean is in southwest Washington.

2000ssm6 said:
Since I have a TS460, Sling'r really knows how to work these over.

You had Sling'r mod a cutquik?

24d said:
Madsen's are the only ones I've heard about power tuning from

Madsen's power tuning was a different process with different results than the typical "woods porting". Madsen's used more modifications to the piston than anything, and yeah I don't think they're modifying saws anymore. All Stihl dealers in the Northwest have received the standard lecture about not altering or modifying and Stihl products. Some are still doing it and risking their dealer's licenses. Gene Coakley came to our shop once sniffing around when a competitive dealer said we were modding saws in-house.

Have Dennis build you one of those 500cc saws for your wood pile and while you're at it, have John Force build you a car so you can go grocery shopping!

You know you want my 066 RL:) I tell you what though. I'd never port a saw for pay. #1, there is always a risk that something could go wrong. I don't care how careful you are. #2, it's not worth the pay. I put way more time and work into it than I'd want to do for $200. Of course it would make a big difference if I had the high dollar Foredom grinders and such, but I'm just a hobbiest. This 066 will be the first ported saw I sell and it's not by design. I intended to keep this saw but stumbled onto the 660 that's coming tomorrow. My hat's off to those guys that are willing to provide this service to those that want to pay to have it done.

LOL i used to do car heads and modify carbs and fuel injection with good results, I even opened the chokes on my browning trap gun with the dremel and an internal micrometer, So im just going to start on the 036 one of these days!
Now i have the 7900 i can take the 036 out of use for a little while.
Your right about doing other peoples stuff i wouldnt touch anyone elses chokes etc apart from triggers on ruger 10/22s lol
Theres way more reward in doing a job yourself!
Now where did i put the solder and the micrometer:cheers:

apart from triggers on ruger 10/22s lol

Rethink that, if someone EVER gets hurt with it, it could come back to haunt you, even if their is no possible way a good trigger pull could have been the cause.

Rethink that, if someone EVER gets hurt with it, it could come back to haunt you, even if their is no possible way a good trigger pull could have been the cause.

LOL they are more likley to hurt themselves breaking their fingers trying to get it to go bang without a trigger mod! mine was 6.5 lbs 2.5lbs is a easy mod and safe!
Like doing handloads for mates i always get them to do 1 part of the procces

I go with 4# for a carry gun. I had a Glock 24 for competition that was about 2 1/2, but I didn't do that one. I like my rifles in the 2-3# range.

MY remmy 700 bdl has a jewell trigger unit £225 and runs about 5oz i use it for stalking, Foxing and somtimes a bit of bench its fun letting people have a shot or two and then finding they cant get there own rifles to fire after using the light trigger:)

DSC00057.jpg

How tis for off topic lol

Last edited:
LOL they are more likley to hurt themselves breaking their fingers trying to get it to go bang without a trigger mod! mine was 6.5 lbs 2.5lbs is a easy mod and safe!
Like doing handloads for mates i always get them to do 1 part of the procces

All that is very true I own 17 of them, 1 full auto, 1 with a suppressor, my walmart special and a old pre warning sporter are my two favorites, yea they all got hair triggers. I think ruger made them so hard because maybe they were likely to be given to kids. 1 part of the process is very good advice, not being from the USA puts you even farther from a legal risk, I'd say you are safe.

I could talk guns all day, But I'd hate to hijack this fine thread!

Later,

MY remmy 700 bdl has a jewell trigger unit £225 and runs about 5oz i use it for stalking, Foxing and somtimes a bit of bench its fun letting people have a shot or two and then finding they cant get there own rifles to fire after using the light trigger
Jewell triggers are top notch. Set em at 1lb and go forth and fill a arc.

Last edited:
Back