who gave this guy a 661 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch the first low cut parallel to the ground - he cuts maybe 2/3 to 3/4 around the tree, then takes a wedge out all the way at the clockwise end of it. Later he makes another cut that is several inches above the beginning of that first cut.

It's strange - it looks like he is carefully doing something, but the end result is all random. Maybe it's because the cuts don't meet up, but it's hard to see how you have any control with cuts overlapping other cuts.

looks to me to be a typical vaneer tree cutter. every timber cutter ive hired that was taught to cut vaneer had some strange version or another of the same type technique that fella used. its not my way of doing things but heck I don't notch half my trees either and would probably be considered a cull timber cutter by others doing the same work. you learn to do what works and keeps up with production especially when falling in front of a two grapple skidders that are hellbent on keeping you hopping all day. sometimes I thought they were just trying to see if they could break me..

Take a look at the stump. Nothing wrong there. Dropped as intended.

The notch is supposed to be make with precision. When he do the first cut of the notch he cut half of the tree. This is nonsense, there wasn't enough wood remaining. This guy was lucky, falling a tree isn't a game.

My neighbor had the patch of woods beside us logged several years ago and those "old school" loggers used the exact same felling technique. Made for some really ugly stumps. They didn't have a lot of control either, they spent more time getting hangers down than they did cutting and skidding. That was the first time that I had ever seen that done and was totally amused.

It does seem a bit convoluted thats for sure.

If the stump has to be close to the ground I'd certainly prefer to cut the tree at a comfortable height in the "traditional" way and then trim the stump up to suit.

Cheers

Justin

It does seem a bit convoluted thats for sure.

If the stump has to be close to the ground I'd certainly prefer to cu the tree at a comfortable height in the "traditional" way and then trim the stump up to suit.

Cheers

Justin

maybe he needs the wood to be as long as possible. that's the only reason i can see to cut that low.

Latest posts

Back