Who has the biggest pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pile? I don't know. But as far as stacked and covered, I think Kevin in Ohio has us all beat by a mile. Here's the link to his post:

Kevin's stash

Here's a pic of ONE of his sheds full of wood:

attachment.php

Firewoodaugust2009andAlexbirthda-2.jpg

The splittings/mulch pile on the right is 9 feet tall. The stacked wood in the back is 90feet away.

Last edited:
Scott,
Looking forward to my backyard resembling yours this year.

I've amassed the metal roofing, the locust for timbers, just need the trusses.

Any pics of that cover during assembly?
What are the dimensions and pitch?

Darn, beat me to it..... I was going to say, whether it is the biggest pile or not, we are about to see a very familiar pile of wood in NY.... ;)

Somebody called? :)

My brother does not have a digital camera and he is quite the luddite when it comes to technology. But this summer when I am up there I will be sure to photodocument his operation up close and personal. He says he is having a banner year yet again and he is also ahead of schedule on the processing of next year's wood. By the time I am up there he should have all 2000+ cords stacked and drying and the logs for 2011/2012 stacked in the yard.

Here is the pic we are all familiar with:

ScottsHouse-1.jpg

Scott,
Looking forward to my backyard resembling yours this year.

I've amassed the metal roofing, the locust for timbers, just need the trusses.

Any pics of that cover during assembly?
What are the dimensions and pitch?

The building is 45x76. It was half of a building that I bought. I sold the other half. The original building was 45x160. We only ended up with 76ft because we lost a truss when we split the building. I really like the spacing of the poles. They are 20ft apart. That makes it nice for backing a trailer under. Th posts and headers are 12x12 treated pine. I had to make 2 posts. I used threaded rod and bolted 4 6x6s together. I think it's a 4/12 pitch for the roof. If you need truss pics let me know.

Scott

Question for you guys that put wood in buildings or in big heaps. Don't you get moldy wood doing that? We tried many years in a row to put wood inside of our barn to keep it dry and all we got was green and gray mold on it. We tried stacking it inside with 6-8" between the piles and still the same result. We put it in pretty dry but it was still not enough.

And for heaping piles that was even worse. We always got tons of black slimy mold all over the wood, even when we put it on pallets. This was in CNY where it is fairly rainy so maybe that had something to do with it, but it sure made our wood a mess. There are still folks that try it around there and they seem to get the same problem too, and customers hate it. By the time they realize the wood is moldy the delivery guys are long gone and they don't make it right. That in turn makes it easy for sellers with good dry wood with no mold to get their customers.

With all the fear about mold that is around now I would think that any sign of mold on wood would cause people to freak.

Question for you guys that put wood in buildings or in big heaps. Don't you get moldy wood doing that? We tried many years in a row to put wood inside of our barn to keep it dry and all we got was green and gray mold on it. We tried stacking it inside with 6-8" between the piles and still the same result. We put it in pretty dry but it was still not enough.

And for heaping piles that was even worse. We always got tons of black slimy mold all over the wood, even when we put it on pallets. This was in CNY where it is fairly rainy so maybe that had something to do with it, but it sure made our wood a mess. There are still folks that try it around there and they seem to get the same problem too, and customers hate it. By the time they realize the wood is moldy the delivery guys are long gone and they don't make it right. That in turn makes it easy for sellers with good dry wood with no mold to get their customers.

With all the fear about mold that is around now I would think that any sign of mold on wood would cause people to freak.

This is the first year that I have had the building. I love it. I didn;t have any mold at all this year. The wood seemed to seasoned very well. I have had a lot of repeat customers and they rave about it. It's a very clean product. It hasn't seen rain in a year. I was watching for mold this year and didn't see any.

Scott

Back