Who hotrods 335xpt's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm tired of reliability problems whith these saws , We have 7 between the four of us . Two are cali's and they don't seem to have the spunk that the old ones did . I want to mod my cali's . What can be done to these saws to make them run cooler and more realiable . I feel that these small saws have a lot of heat build up and that contributes to the realiability. Who can do this and how much will it cost ?:angry:

I would go and look up KDHotsaw since you are from Ca. Here is his address. As far as his work, I have three of his saws and no none of them are for sale.

Ken Dunn kdhotsaw
56 cameron Dr.
berry creek, calif 95916
530-589-2744

And let him know that stihlman036 sent you.

Later,
Chris

Dennis (Greffard) just did one for rbtree (rog). Rog has a couple, and experience with modified 335's. He'd be a good one to ask for opinions on who does what for how much.

oooops, 036 beat me to the punch. I'm not sure, but I think Rog was talking about having Ken Dunn do his next one.

Davey,

Huskies little sister Jonsered has a top handle model the 2033 which is not cranked up as much as the 335's. Take a look at those for the future.
Good luck :blob2:

Actually I did one for Mike Boyer.. a Cali special...results were good...we solved the hard starting problem, as well as the idling issue...and made it run like it should.. roger has one from Walkers...
I can tell you I spent an extreme amount of time on it...they are very labour intensive....and not easy to work on...but I think they (335 cali) are capable of alot more than they are stock...
No 2033 in Canada...:mad:

Dennis,

Jonsered list the 2033 in their 2002 catalogue, but you are correct on their web site under Canada it is not available.

Sorry Davey, did not mean to send you on the wrong path. :eek:

The 2033 specs are poor, the only other small saw that comes close to 020/335 is the 2.0 hp Solo 633. Did you ever start that one, dennis?

Daveyclimber, interesting your opine of the Cali. i now have 2 positive, one neg. opinions on them versus the regular 335. (Stock) I am leery of it, as I know it is detuned. Tell me more---maybe I'll just get a regular 335, cheap at 330 on sale.

Dennis's work is great, but I may have Walker's do my next one, as they are cheaper (why so cheap on a tough to work on saw I dont know). My 335 has plenty of power, so the much less thorough job they do is plenty good. And it runs great, but now is up to 8 or 9 pulls after not running for a few days. Restarting is perfect though.

Last edited:
I love my 335's , they are MY multipurpose saw I regularly chunk down 6-14'' spars with no problem except my hand gets hot pretty quick. I wonder if some of the sluggishness of the 45cc 335 is due to the automatic pressure release. I don't really notice any differance in the carb or exhaust . Theoreticlly this saw should be putting around 3hp give or take . They are close on power but they should be more for what they are . It is like putting a two barrel carb an a 460 and calling it hi-po . ???? the EPA:angry: :angry: :confused:

Originally posted by rbtree

Nothing against Dennis, but I will have Walker's do my next one, as they are cheaper (why so cheap on a tough to work on saw i dont know). My 335 has plenty of power, so the less thorough job they do is plenty good. And it runs great, but now is up to 8 or nine pulls after not running for a few days. Restarting is perfect though.

Roger...I was going to let the first post go over on Treeclimbers, but now I cant...

The first saw I built for you was perfect and I did it for a trade on an old 930..saved you money...
I did your 3120...
Built your Craftsman....
I saved you a piston and cylinder kit on your 488 that I just built by spending the time to clean it up and not charging you.....

and now you are busting my balls on 335's...I can tell you for sure that Walkers do an outstanding job for the money they charge...but I can also guarantee they do not do the work that I do in that cylinder...if they did, they would charge for it...they are business people too...

From now on Roger, send all your stuff to them. Your carrying case will be in the mail shortly.
Prepaid.

Dennis

Roger's 335

Hello Roger,
Roger, dont be so tight with the almighty dollar. dennis's modified saw will put out twice the power of walkers. but of course he does a lot more work, that a very labor intensive operation on that saw and to get the max you have to do the whole enchilida, intake ports, transfer ports and exhaust , plus cylinder base work and muffler. sure it cost a little more but it runs a lot stronger. also dennis does very nice work, he's already built you some nice strong saws.
ken

Walkers is cheaper for a pretty obvious reason. They probably never even blueprint or modify the ports in any way. How could they and still make money. I guarantee that their overhead is much higher than Dennis's is. They do the muffler, port match and polish the intake, exhaust and case and that's probably about it.
Those mods alone will have a very noticable effect on performance and you'll have got your money's worth. We all know that Dennis goes a lot further than Walkers does and charges accordingly. What some may not know is that it takes him a hell of a lot longer to do a 335 than it does a 372, but he charged the same amount of money for it. You get what you pay for, but with a 335 G you probably got a lot more than you paid for.

My 335 has plenty of power, so the less thorough job they do is plenty good. And it runs great, but now is up to 8 or nine pulls after not running for a few days. Restarting is perfect though. [/B]

???my 372GXP starts in two pulls max and spits out 046s - after i have rocked out the chain and had a 30pack - would I want a Walkers for a little $ amount less? no way in he!!, ever. I'm sure that Walkers does good work but its not that kind of work....

I still have the fastest stock 71cc saw in Arkansas and you think you can run against me after a 30pack email me and get ready to buy the next 30pack:D

Well ya no there fella's, it really doesnt matter much anyway. It's only a chainsaw and when they made that 335 they made lots of em, so dont worry too much about Roger being a tight waud with his cash, you prolly didnt need his business anyway.
But when you look back at Clearwater, Roger bought about as many beverages as Dennis did.
The Chainsaw Meadiator

What, gyro....moi, the almos' teetotaler......

.um.. I did??

My point is, that my 335W has plenty of power and reliability. I really dont want to spend a lot to hop up a cheap saw. Dont need a wild screamer in a tree, just a nice fast saw.

I guarnatee you'se guys my next 372 will be by Dunn or Dennis, as the W, while nice, does not blow my stock muffler Madsen's one away, it is faster tho.

Hush up, tundra, how many Greffardized saws do YOU have. I will have my 4th any day now, if Canada post is nice to me and Dennis.

Pfffssst.

..the saw junkie

Last edited:
you sound like you've already had that 30pack Roger!!, are you ready to race?:D

btw. I will end up with more GXP's and KD's than you, I promise:cool:

Just read back through all the posts. Dang, guess I stepped in it. Uh oh.... Many apologies, Dennis. Your work for all, and me, has been fabulous.

All I meant was, that, to spend a lot on a little saw, doesn't make as much sense as on a larger one. For limbing and smaller wood blocking, it is nice to have a peppy saw, but the very best is not as important, as say, even just the next size up, the 346.

And I fully understand that it is harder to work on the small jugs, as well as the teardown on the case is a pain and slower...

Remember that I talk up your work on at least three other boards, and will continue to do so..

Back