Who is excited about the ms400c-m?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
sled_22 pointed out that the 400c-m is on its way to the US in Jan/feb, and that it is a solid second saw option for a two saw plan paired with a 261.

until I heard about the 400 I was thinking the 462 was the way to go, but it looks like the 400 fits in the 362 body, and has pretty good power and numbers for a firewood guy.

what do we think?

In case you missed his post here’s a link to the product preview:
https://www.stihlusa.com/informatio...400+C+M_Abbreviated+Fact+Sheet_FINAL+(1).docx

I've been watching this saw and wouldn't mind trying it against the MS462. The chief advantages of the MS400 I see on paper are that it has less vibration in the handles than the MS462 and should feel more nimble due to the slightly lower weight and more compact feel. Gas consumption will likely be a bit less as well. Most importantly, it gives Stihl something competitive to sell at a price point where it had a gaping hole.

Speed comparisons between the two saws place the MS400 3-4 seconds behind in large cuts on some Youtube videos. However, it's not a big deal.

I think it's a great option for people who have never felt that a 60cc saw offers enough of an upgrade over a 50cc, but didn't feel like they needed the size, weight and cost of a 72+cc saw either.

The price looks right for what they're offering as fas as Stihl products go. I'd run it with a 25" light bar and be happy.

my 462 has 8 tanks of fuel through it , with a 25 es bar .very good power. better than my old 044.

I see reports on here of people buying the new ms400, even in Michigan, but our local dealers still have not even heard of it. Is there typically a slow roll-out of saws like this?

Will be test driving my 400 later this week.
No I did not need this saw, but my dealer pressured me into it since he called me the minute he found out one was going to him stating my name was on that saw, peer pressure is a pain in the arse I tell you.

Personally I dont want an injected saw, a strato saw or a mtronic saw.
Stihl MS361's are still available from Robinwood on this very site for a fraction of the cost of a MS400. Heck, you could have the 361 ported by @huskihl and still be cheaper than a new ms400. The 361's are also as dependable as it gets and without electronic or emmissions BS. The ms400,462,500 are unknown in this regard.

i got the ms400 last week, really nice saw but not much weight advantage over the 462, mostly just cheaper. I normally run my old 10mm 044, which is similar in weight, or a 572xp, which is noticably heavier. I figured i'd give this saw a shot, i normally don't run 60cc, i use a 550xp for limbing when i don't feel like using 70cc. I didn't really like the 361 or 362 and i sold my 036 since never used it either. My old 034 super is retired but man that saw had some guts.

Pic of first tank cutting and felt quite strong already

Attachments

• 400c.jpg
    400c.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 16
i got the ms400 last week, really nice saw but not much weight advantage over the 462, mostly just cheaper. I normally run my old 10mm 044, which is similar in weight, or a 572xp, which is noticably heavier. I figured i'd give this saw a shot, i normally don't run 60cc, i use a 550xp for limbing when i don't feel like using 70cc. I didn't really like the 361 or 362 and i sold my 036 since never used it either. My old 034 super is retired but man that saw had some guts.

Pic of first tank cutting and felt quite strong already
The vibration numbers are a lot better on the 400 over the 462 as well. Not sure if that matters much in the real world.
The 261 has 3.5/3.5 m/s^2
The 400 has 3.5/3.5 m/s^2
The 462 has 4.8/3.6 m/s^2
The 500i has 4.2/4.0 m/s^2

Back