Who made this Craftsman?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougand3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got this saw in a trade in. I'm thinking it looks Mac-ish but see Made in Japan.
Kioritz-Echo?

20190413_122217.jpg 20190413_122233.jpg 20190413_122257.jpg 20190413_122307.jpg 20190413_122320.jpg

Thanks, guys. Parts prices are ridiculous searching under 358362180. I'll look at GZ4000 parts.

There are lots of saws out there very similar to that saw, clones and rebadged. Made in Japan definitely makes it a GZ4000. I have a G400 redmax. Same saw, made in China. Ryobi had a version of it as well. Then there are the clones like the earthquakes and blue max chainsaws. Most of the clones aren’t Strato saws.

That’s a good one, a true pro saw design. It’s a keeper if you want a 40cc saw.

I have a co-worker that has one in the redmax variety. I’m trying to get him to let me fix it or buy it. I believe it needs an Oiler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stated above it is a redmax/zenoah. Excellent saws that don't come up for sale used very often. The only direct clone of the gz4000 was one made for mcculloch by Jenn Feng Taiwan.

I have a co-worker that has one in the redmax variety. I’m trying to get him to let me fix it or buy it. I believe it needs an Oiler.

The Oiler and worm gear are pretty cheap on ebay. An adjustable Oiler is a good upgrade if it does not have one.

Thanks for all the insight. Saw won't pop with fuel charge. 93 PSI (with tiny 10mm adapter). But it doesn't feel like good compression - can even tell through the easy pull recoil. The muffler support bracket screws into a permanent dawg - that screw is SEIZED in there. I've buggered up the head. Gotta get torch and screw extractor on it before I can peek inside.

Thanks for all the insight. Saw won't pop with fuel charge. 93 PSI (with tiny 10mm adapter). But it doesn't feel like good compression - can even tell through the easy pull recoil. The muffler support bracket screws into a permanent dawg - that screw is SEIZED in there. I've buggered up the head. Gotta get torch and screw extractor on it before I can peek inside.

I believe they used loctite on that screw because when I removed the muffler on my redmax/ryobi version it was real p.i.t.a at first but after that it would always come loose after a few hours of cutting. Pull the muffler if you can and check for any scratches or streaks on the piston.

Whew, it's ugly in there. Cyl has gouges, too. I found a used Mac MS4018 topend with intake that looks real similar except non-strato. Cheap enough that I bought it. Dying for this saw to run.
And they did use LOTSA Loctite on muff support.

20190415_200608.jpg

What about a bluemax top end?
680273a4c0a571b9f4f2c1c0678df0b8.jpg

Whew, it's ugly in there. Cyl has gouges, too. I found a used Mac MS4018 topend with intake that looks real similar except non-strato. Cheap enough that I bought it. Dying for this saw to run.
And they did use LOTSA Loctite on muff support.

View attachment 730501

The 4018 is made by Jenn Feng and has the same Strato ports but the plastic intake does have them. Imo they run better with the Stratos functioning, I'm betting the seal listed at 7 failed because that happened with mine.
http://www.redmaxpartsdirect.com/manuals.php?model=GZ4000

What about a bluemax top end?
680273a4c0a571b9f4f2c1c0678df0b8.jpg

Those won't fit on the crankcase of this saw, that cylinder is a little bigger at the base and the lip of the cylinder wall will not fit into the case opening. I'm very familiar with most saws of redmax design.

I'm guessing JF intake does NOT have them. Makes sense. I was wondering about the cubbyholes above the intake throat...ah, just a blocker! Here is 4018 what I bought:

4018 I bought.jpg

Here is my Craftsman 358362180. So, the #7 seal is inside the insulator assy and removed/changed when assy pulled off cyl? It is REALLY stuck on there - trying not to trash gasket.

20190416_083554.jpg

Got the used Mac MS4018AV topend installed. Base Gasket Delete w/ Motoseal. Had to trim 1/8" off the chassis vertical wall or intake hit it. Only 130 PSI but with 10mm adapter w/o schrader valve. Carb is a Zama C1Q-Z6. They have the jets taper proof. Tried the non strato intake and couldn't get a good throttle up. Tried a Chinese 45 52 58cc carb - linkages lined up perfectly. Carb has 2 impulse holes - 12 o/c and top nipple for hose. Saw ran great...for 1 min - smooth idle, smooth throttle to WOT. Then ran erratically and died. Would not restart w/o fuel prime. I guessing a hunk of motoseal plugged impulse. Will check that next. And I'll try strato intake, as well.

20190420_190458.jpg 20190421_175734.jpg 20190421_190303.jpg 20190421_195516.jpg

Did you check the impulse hole to see if it was completely open, my other saws have that carburetor and the hole is not completely drilled out.

Did you check the impulse hole to see if it was completely open, my other saws have that carburetor and the hole is not completely drilled out.
You are so right - impulse hole is blocked 2 ways. Had to drill hole on cube AND on underside of top plate to get impulse to the fuel pump diaphragm. Had to get another carb because I ham fisted 1st cube drill all the way into carb throat. LOL
Now, to air filter. It's strato 2 hole type and doesn't fit with non strato intake because of tall cubby holes. What are the cubby holes on non strato? Cooling?
The strato intake leaks but I could use it with the block off gasket on non strato intake.
What's better - cut cubby holes out of the way or use strato intake with non strato gasket?

Latest posts

Back