Who makes the best (opinions wanted)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
All right my custom splitter is still in the works. I need to know what is the best brand money can buy? All opinions welcome.

1.) control valve
2.) 2-stage pump (11-13 gal)
3.) Hydro. cylinder

Also where is the best place to buy? (I know about www.surpluscenter.com )

OK ya South Ahiya hill jack lay off the foul mouth, LOL

Cross makes a good valve as does Commercial Shearing. Prince is pretty well known but I have no experiance with them. One thing to consider is detents. Most valves sold for splitters only detent one way for safety reasons and probably good reason given they dont know who is going to buy it. Having a dentent both ways can boost production quite a bit when it's a one man show, however loosing some fingers can limit production too, be carefull. If you go with a detented valve make sure it releases at full stroke, some don't as I found out.

I have no experiance with two stage pumps

As for cylinders I have never bought a new one. My present cylinder came from a Yale loader. Quality is X times better with a cylinder from a piece of construction equipment than any "splitter" cylinder I have seen but subject to you knowing where to look or knowing the proper people. Some of them a way too expensive even used.

i bought my control valve and pump from northern tool. pump is a 11/22 dual stage. both work excellent.

my cylinder is a 5 x 24 which i bought off of ebay. i need to have 3 more things welded and it's ready to try out. this is my second splitter. the first, which i bought partially made, was too weak to handle the load and the frame literally bent from the force.

my new one proudly sits on an 8" H beam...should be big enough to handle the force now. however....i have one issue i'm concerned about: i built my new splitter on top of a boat trailer that someone gave me. i modified it some to make it smaller. but, my theory is that the H beam will absorb all the energy and not the trailer frame. i hope i'm right...lol

after spending all my time building this thing, i wonder if it would have been cheaper to just buy one instead?

Nope!!! The fact that you put in your own hard work to make something yourself is what would be worth it to me! I can't wait to get mine done!
Still collecting parts!

yea...i keep telling myself that too. i only wish i had access to more junk yards...lol buying steel when there is so much around really sucks. i read all about hydraulics for about a year before i got started and read about cylinders as well. but, understanding the physics of a log splitter is interesting, especially when you have to consider the forces you are applying.

i was really hung up on a proper ram/guide design until i came to this site and posted a question. the guys were more than helpful here and, after looking at some pictures posted, i designed one that i believe will work great. i just have to get two more pieces welded on it...which brings me to another dilema: i'm sorry i never invested in a welder!!! and i remember passing up so many of them...argh! now i have to depend on someone to weld my stuff.

it's almost done...maybe this week...if i can get the guy to weld a couple things for me.

Tell yourself this...The one you are making could be better than most of the ones you buy because they cut corners and do things the cheapest way to make money by selling them. You however are not...you are making this thing custom to your specs. Just set yourexpectations high! Oh... and give yourself a 5 year manufacterers warranty when your done!! Ah hell give it 10 years! LOL:D

Ive got a Prince valve, and Prince 3000psi 4.5x24 cylinder from Northern. Barnes 2 stage pump from TSC. I also got the tank from northern. Everything else I had lying around.

attachment.php

mga said:
after spending all my time building this thing, i wonder if it would have been cheaper to just buy one instead?

Money is not everything, happiness is.
As I grow old:cry: I realize if you can design and build something yourself for even close to the price of a commercial pre-built unit, of anything-not just splitters, is way better than buying it pre-built. It's not apples-apples. The knowlage and pride you gain, far outweighs any paper money comparison.:cheers:

this is it so far:

18hp engine
18 gallon tank ( i designed it myself with a baffle inside)
8 " H beam
controller
filter
11/22 pump (under the engine)

since this picture, i have my new ram designed (not shown) sorry it's so big...i didn't realize it would come out this large

aabf0760.jpg

Nice job mga!! I see you using cast fittings on your hydraulic connections. Those are OK on the return side, but dont use them on the supply side, they arent rated to handle the pressure.

turnkey4099 said:
Nice job!! Could you post a picture from further back so we can see the whole thing?

From what I can see I'll buy it from you $248.75 sight unseen.:)

Harry K

lol...so would i

CaseyForrest said:
Nice job mga!! I see you using cast fittings on your hydraulic connections. Those are OK on the return side, but dont use them on the supply side, they arent rated to handle the pressure.

ya know...when i bought those i asked the guy 3 times if they would handle the pressure, and 3 times he said "yes". i had my doubts then and i have them now too.

perhaps you're right....i should change them so that i won't have any surprises.

finally got my ram all welded up and we welded the wedge on. the last (hopefully) thing to do is to weld the "ears" on the wedge. i forgot to bring the angle iron "ears" to the guy who was welding...so i'll have to bring it back to him this weekend.

i'll post another picture of it today.....thanks for the comments!!

ok...if i did this right, here's some photos of it:

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/mga_01/

if you guys notice anything wrong...by all means share it!!! this was my first build (from scratch) and i'm sure i made some mistakes.

Last edited:
took it out for it's maiden run....it worked very well and i'm proud of myself.

a couple of things i need to do as some suggested:

1. rough up the face of the ram plate so that logs don't slide off.

2. get those wings welded to the wedge!!

3. change that coupling to one more suitable for high pressure.

i really appreciate all the help from you guys!!!!!!!

Back