Who would like a Gardening forum on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I built this from a link that Del posted:

attachment.php

Sheds the snow much better!

I have swiss chard and spinach planted in this bed.

looks good, how are the bees doin? where in pa?

looks good, how are the bees doin? where in pa?

I had 5 hives that did pretty well for several years then lost 3 last year. I moved so I don't know how the remaining 2 will do here but I expect well.

I'm about 20 miles northwest of State College.

That last one would go good with any of the others:msp_thumbup:
we tried doin corn on the cob but it came out kinda mushy and tastin like cob.maybe theres a trick i'm missing.

We shuck the corn before freezing, do not blanch, but it's never going to taste the same as fresh picked. We'll can more of it this time. Going to try netting/wire hoops over the corn rows, crows like to pick the seeds out when the plants get 2" high or so, but I'm sure the taste of Captan or whatever insecticide is on the seeds gets them sooner or later.

I had 5 hives that did pretty well for several years then lost 3 last year. I moved so I don't know how the remaining 2 will do here but I expect well.

I'm about 20 miles northwest of State College.

Just had a local beekeepers meeting in the paper...Also have a friend who is the master beekeeper at the USDA farm in Md. A neighbor hooks me up with all the honey I need.

I want to grow green beans but think I missed the season here.

I have one row open. I need to find something that loves the sun and doesn't mind the high 90's summer temps.

I mainly grow Blue Lake beans, and have grown Derby as well. They seem to be fairly tolerant of heat, as long as you keep giving them plenty of water, but not too much, the lower leaves that touch the ground will rot, may kill the plant.

I don't have that much gardening experience but this just amazes me, it was 17°f this morning and 19°f the morning before but the potato onions have popped through and the leeks and garlic are still growing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Got my taters in the ground...finally. Was nice and dry, disc'ed the area Saturday, Got busy on Sunday, my Troy-Bilt tiller wouldn't start, bad coil, fortunately my bro had a Tecumseh coil/points assy., hooked me up, got er done, then it started snowing.

I was reading the new M.E. News, see that there is a low-Scoville Habanero available, has anyone grown that?

The deer pretty much destroyed my garden last year.. ate all my sweet corn and pepper plants.. any suggestions on good repellant? I planned on building a fence this year but i really dont have the budget for it..

I use liquid fence, works great on my beans, peppers etc don't use it on my corn just have too much.

Its a little expensive but works great, smells like vomit though so I hope you don't have a sensitive stomach.

I used that stuff last year toward the end of the summer.. it seemed to work but like you said i couldnt get past the smell.. I almost puked twice.. I didnt like the fact that i had to spray it directly on the plants too.. i didnt know if it would affect the flavor..

I rand the moulboard plow through my garden last night. Tonight I need to plow my neighbors yard up, he's wanting to start a garden, so I have to turn his sod over.
Then I need to dig the disk out of the barn to smooth everything out.

I'm going to take a long lunch and run to the seed store today. I'm going to get taters and garlic and the rest of my seeds.

I'm thinking ill plant peas this weekend.

If it would warm up.... It snowed yesterday again...

The deer pretty much destroyed my garden last year.. ate all my sweet corn and pepper plants.. any suggestions on good repellant? I planned on building a fence this year but i really dont have the budget for it..

Used a liquid repellent on the daylilly beds last year that worked fine.

My garden is partly fenced -- anything the deer can't resist go inside the fence.

Along the fence grow green beans, which they liked to eat on the outside (the inside of course was fine).

To stop that, I put up a couple fishing line scare wires, with a spring and eye on one side so I could take them down (but normally I just ducked under them).

That worked well enough last year I'm planning to put up the fishing line scare wire around the whole rest of the garden, with an electric fence gate handle as the quick way to drop it if needed.

It won't stop determined deer, but if they're just casually browsing as they pass through they don't like walking into something they can't see.

For the cost of a few T-posts and some fishing line, it's probably worth an experiment to see if it works for you.

Back