Who would like a Gardening forum on here?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The deer pretty much destroyed my garden last year.. ate all my sweet corn and pepper plants.. any suggestions on good repellant? I planned on building a fence this year but i really dont have the budget for it..

lead poisoning seems to work. i see your not to far from me and i know we have a deer problem in central pa. had one patch of sweet corn last year shoulda picked 100 or so doz.,was lucky to get enough for supper.ihave used a fish fertilizer that seems to help. i'll try and get the name for.you.i think its listed as organic.
also you can try a radio,i use it mainly for coons .i put on a talk radio station.

Last edited:
I used that stuff last year toward the end of the summer.. it seemed to work but like you said i couldnt get past the smell.. I almost puked twice.. I didnt like the fact that i had to spray it directly on the plants too.. i didnt know if it would affect the flavor..

Maybe we could sit in the barn during hunting season to thin out that herd:msp_thumbup:

Coons and progress

I am trying corn and am worried about the coons. I hope my dog Pinky is ready for the summer!!!

Here is the progress on the broccoli and cabbage.

You can also see to the left I have a row of purple onions.

broc_1.jpg

rows.jpg

As you can see, the ground is completely soaked and packed down nicely. :bang:. I will have to till again before I plant.

We have been having massive amounts of rain and some pretty nifty hail storms.

Also on Hose

I am going to go with a soaker hose set up this year as you can tell by the pic.

Ran into a (I think 250') roll at the Co-op for 35 bucks.

I am trying corn and am worried about the coons. I hope my dog Pinky is ready for the summer!!!

Here is the progress on the broccoli and cabbage.

You can also see to the left I have a row of purple onions.

broc_1.jpg

rows.jpg

As you can see, the ground is completely soaked and packed down nicely. :bang:. I will have to till again before I plant.

We have been having massive amounts of rain and some pretty nifty hail storms.

I like the soaker hose I may try that this year

I'm going to get a front door for my greenhouse this week, it is supposed to be warm next week so I'm looking forward to buttoning it up. Right now it is 33 and snowing so it is hard to get excited about gardening. I used a combination of "deer off" spray, nasty geese and a sighted .270 to keep the deer off my trees the first two years, the herd is to a manageable level now and they have not been a problem.

I like the soaker hose I may try that this year

I was undecided between soaker, drip or just watering but I ran into a deal so I am going to try it.

Last year I went all the way through june just irrigating. Dug a trench on the high side and then filled it up. Once it got into the high 90's I started watering every plant individual.

I was undecided between soaker, drip or just watering but I ran into a deal so I am going to try it.

Last year I went all the way through june just irrigating. Dug a trench on the high side and then filled it up. Once it got into the high 90's I started watering every plant individual.

I use a sprinkler and just think you waste too much water with them, a soaker would be good and bad to get around all plants unless you build like a manifold and then multiple hose take offs

A friend of mine that grows sweetcorn puts up a silt fence around his fields and sprays them with diesel fuel every couple of weeks. He says that's the only way he's found to keep the coons from destroying his crop. From what he tells me, they get it on their paws when they cross over it, and they can't stand the smell of diesel, so they leave the corn alone.

I use a sprinkler and just think you waste too much water with them, a soaker would be good and bad to get around all plants unless you build like a manifold and then multiple hose take offs

how big a garden AG drip works good if you can justify initial expense. your headline(manifold) can be set up to do one row at a time to save water, each row has its own shut off

My garden is partly fenced -- anything the deer can't resist go inside the fence.

Along the fence grow green beans, which they liked to eat on the outside (the inside of course was fine).

To stop that, I put up a couple fishing line scare wires, with a spring and eye on one side so I could take them down (but normally I just ducked under them).

That worked well enough last year I'm planning to put up the fishing line scare wire around the whole rest of the garden, with an electric fence gate handle as the quick way to drop it if needed.

It won't stop determined deer, but if they're just casually browsing as they pass through they don't like walking into something they can't see.

For the cost of a few T-posts and some fishing line, it's probably worth an experiment to see if it works for you.

I like that idea.. The deer i have are mighty determined though.. they knock over tomato cages and whatever else get in their way just to grab a bite.. My garden backs a field owned by Milton Hershey so i hope they plant corn this year so they wont touch mine...

I got the 22 and a spotlight lets go! :msp_biggrin:

I did find this type of fence on the interweb and its not too bad in price..
Deer Fences | Buy from Gardener's Supply

I have used this fencing and it works well. Almost invisible, so buy a roll of fluorescent plastic marking tape and tie strips on so the deer will see it or they will walk right into it. Seems to keep out coons also. Also makes a great inexpensive chicken fence. The rolls are 7' high so deer can't jump it. Excellent for protecting berry bushes and shrubs.

I have used this fencing and it works well. Almost invisible, so buy a roll of fluorescent plastic marking tape and tie strips on so the deer will see it or they will walk right into it. Seems to keep out coons also. Also makes a great inexpensive chicken fence. The rolls are 7' high so deer can't jump it. Excellent for protecting berry bushes and shrubs.

Will do.. I plan on getting the heavy duty fence. now i just need to find stakes that are 8ft. long lol...

Back