Who's liable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan@OTT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just clearing up some more off-season questions!
I'm sure we've all had people claim a tree was there's when it was bordering a neighbouring property where we wondered, "are they sure"? I have once had this happen where it was actually the neighbours tree, thankfully we hadn't done any heavy trimming yet, we'd basically just started.
I'm curious if anyone knows who gets hit with a lawsuit if you cut down a neighbours tree without their consent? Is it the homeowner who paid you "the contractor" to cut it down or trim it under their assurance the tree was there's? Or you the contractor, who didn't do your due diligence in finding out who the tree really belonged to?
Usually if the trees questionable I knock on the neighbours door anyway and sort it out, but I'm still curious as to who's liable!
Thanks
Ryan
May vary by area, I'm in ontario, Canada.

Hi all,
Just clearing up some more off-season questions!
I'm sure we've all had people claim a tree was there's when it was bordering a neighbouring property where we wondered, "are they sure"? I have once had this happen where it was actually the neighbours tree, thankfully we hadn't done any heavy trimming yet, we'd basically just started.
I'm curious if anyone knows who gets hit with a lawsuit if you cut down a neighbours tree without their consent? Is it the homeowner who paid you "the contractor" to cut it down or trim it under their assurance the tree was there's? Or you the contractor, who didn't do your due diligence in finding out who the tree really belonged to?
Usually if the trees questionable I knock on the neighbours door anyway and sort it out, but I'm still curious as to who's liable!
Thanks
Ryan
May vary by area, I'm in ontario, Canada.
I don't know the law there but my defense would be the home owner said it was OK he owned the tree. He would be sued first if he admitted he had it cut down.

Yeah...who knows how that is handled in Canada.

My contracts have a line stating the client owns and/or has full authority to manage the trees in question. If we cut a neighbor's tree, I assume we'd be responsible and handle the neighbor as tenderly as possible. Then I'd be suing the client - and I'm assuming have a pretty lock solid case with the contract on which they lied... Hopefully never have to find out!!!

Yeah...who knows how that is handled in Canada.

My contracts have a line stating the client owns and/or has full authority to manage the trees in question. If we cut a neighbor's tree, I assume we'd be responsible and handle the neighbor as tenderly as possible. Then I'd be suing the client - and I'm assuming have a pretty lock solid case with the contract on which they lied... Hopefully never have to find out!!!

Yup, CYA,
Jeff

Fair enough, thank you all for your valuable input. I'm assuming it's as gray an area in Canada as the US and just try to be extremely careful with and vigilant with the issue, hopefully it never comes up and turns into a lawsuit!

Funny thing is we have a city arborist who's told me the rule is ground to sky you can cut what's over your property....
I've always involved neighbours whenever this was the case and they seem to be fine with it for the most part, if they're not I don't do it (let someone else handle the neighbour drama). Called bylaw to find out no such bylaw exists.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Clearing overhanging branches is a different story than removing a tree... My understanding in Ohio is that pruning over property line to the point that it is not significantly detrimental to the tree is allowed. Most often we still need access to the other side to make good pruning cuts. Like you...if there is drama, I'll let somebody else handle it.

That's right, in most cases I find because it's branches overhanging a neighbours yard you've got to get access to the tree, which requires you to actually end up accessing the neighbours tree from their yard. Not to mention the gray area of saw dust or some fallen branches, but not having permission to enter the other persons property, lol to much for me to worry about!

I'm doing a rather large yard clean up right now. Basically going from thick woods to just a few large established trees a hand full of small ones then laying down sod. The home owner is being nice and wants to prune back his Bradford's from the neighbors gutters and remove a few small ones that are right on the property line. I intend to give a friendly knock on neighbors door before I begin just to avoid issues. I do like that contract clause ... I'm gonna start adding that to mine!

I haven't yet had somebody complain about the neighbor who owns a tree wanting to pay to prune it away from their neighbor's house... Plenty of folks wanting to be a good neighbor and do that...I'm sure somebody will complain about it at some point though!

You may be asking the wrong question. It's not 'who gets hit with the lawsuit' because (in the states anyway) someone can file a lawsuit in court for just about any reason. Then the court goes about deciding if the case has any merit.
The question is 'who is legally responsible' for cutting down the wrong tree.
I'm no lawyer so I have one that I occasionally ask questions like this to.

You may be asking the wrong question. It's not 'who gets hit with the lawsuit' because (in the states anyway) someone can file a lawsuit in court for just about any reason. Then the court goes about deciding if the case has any merit.
The question is 'who is legally responsible' for cutting down the wrong tree.
I'm no lawyer so I have one that I occasionally ask questions like this to.
The home owner for sure and they could sue the company that cut it also! Who wins in court is anyone's guess. If the home owner told the tree company it was on his property it pretty much falls on the home owner if you can prove that. If the home owner says he didnt tell you to cut it and you have no written proof and his word against yours watch out.

Same here. Terms of the contract should always state ownership of the tree.

Well I knocked the door home owner has happy to get free work on his side. I offered to flush a small stump for free. Once I was finished he came out and thanked me. After that asked for and approved a bid for thining a bradford

Latest posts

Back