Why did I buy it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’m a true blue Husqvarna guy. I wanted to try some Stihl chainsaws. I should of researched more and used you tube to checkout the Stihl ms170. I just wanted a smaller saw, easy to start for cutting branches. Well I found a like new ms170. Then I watched you tube. It looks way slower than my husky 353. I may need a smaller husky?

They sell like hotcakes, but are not much pumpkin. I have had probably 20 I bought cheap and resold. Personally I wouldn't have one. The carburetor sucks and just about everyone of them it was best for me to buy an AM fully adjustable carb and throw on them than to try and play with the POS that comes on them. I have tried them with razor sharp chains and a limb over 4" is a pita if you have used any saw better before. I will say it again I wouldn't have one.

They are tougher than you think though as I bought one that tached 15200, the cylinder on the outside was discolored and it still had good compression. I tinkered with the carb and couldn't get it to slow down so finally I put an AM carb on it and got it to 12500. It would scream and the bar was worn out so it had been like that probably since new.

They may be disgusting when compared to the PRO line of saws but they do take a beating from unknowing homeowners and one I know of semi pro construction company that beats their 170 badly. I did clean it up this winter, usual fuel related troubles + plugged solid with dirt and its back working for now. I will see it again in the future as it gets no love, any old fuel run through it, seldom sees a file on the chain, even then they cant sharpen a chain correctly but the lil bugger keeps on chugging. Dirty as can be envisioned, caked with mud, oil, debris and sawdust, how it hasn`t overheated and seized is a testimony of how tough they really are.

Well I’ll sharpen the chain razor sharp and give it a go.
Great saw when your looking for light and cheap, sip fuel also, unfortunately they're pretty slow.
I like the picco chain especially if you get the full chisel without the safety ramps.
I'm sure @Fabz could help with that "razor sharp" chain and the rest of the black cat performance package or a piltz kit would get it running well :laugh:.

My neighbor bought one from an local authorized servicing stihl dealer. I thought it was pathetic and so did my neighbor once he used it. H needle needed at least a 1/4 turn out, then it came to life some. I figured dealer would of tuned it before selling it to a near crippled 80 year old man. Neighbor wouldn't buy the premix gas because it was too expansive. The up t0 10% ethanol gas is still sitting in it from 4 months ago, he'll be back at the dealer lookin for a new saw the next time he goes to use his 171.

I wanted to try a smaller Stihl one that’s easy to start. I’m not getting any younger(68yo).
I don't use the decomp on any of my saws, but I understand one day I'll be in a different place. Many of the pro saws have decomps and that can help a lot as well as the easy start feature if used correctly.
Heres a video of an 8yr old starting an ms201cm rear handle. Great saw for small limbing that feels much better in hand than a 170/180.

I think it's that if you get a good one, you will like it, but if it's a problematic one, you won't.

My neighbor bought one from an local authorized servicing stihl dealer. I thought it was pathetic and so did my neighbor once he used it. H needle needed at least a 1/4 turn out, then it came to life some. I figured dealer would of tuned it before selling it to a near crippled 80 year old man. Neighbor wouldn't buy the premix gas because it was too expansive. The up t0 10% ethanol gas is still sitting in it from 4 months ago, he'll be back at the dealer lookin for a new saw the next time he goes to use his 171.
Are you talking about the MS170, or MS171?

Just put it on the trading post, someone will probably give you more than you gave for it... I sold a ms180 once on eBay for 220 when they were like 179$ new lol.

Back