ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

Why do we put stock in weather predictions?

softdown

softdown

ArboristSite Operative
They are right often enough I would guess.

As for me I just underwent a somewhat challenging series of events involving massively wrong weather predictions. All outdoor adventurers have I would guess.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Weather forecast are not exact, there just an idea of what you might expect and prep for. Results may vary.

softdown

softdown

ArboristSite Operative
Weather forecast are not exact, there just an idea of what you might expect and prep for. Results may vary.

True - but probably better off without a prediction than one saying 50/50 on a couple inches. We got 2' of snow. Disaster - could have been. What can travel in 2' of snow other than snowmobile or tractor?

They have been wrong every day for almost a week now.

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
If you think weather forecast are bad now just remember how they were 20+ years ago. I remember being in whiteout conditions in the late 70s when our local weatherman was telling us our part of the state would only see flurries at most.

svk

Saw Hoarder
They are remotely accurate on "regular" weather. But these days any hint of extreme weather and every station is clamoring about Armageddon. Last week they said we were going to get feet of snow and for Thursday alone they predicted 6-12". We got about 2" Tuesday, a tiny bit Wednesday and did not even get a dusting on Thursday.

Every major snowfall ends up to be somewhere between 20-30 percent or even less of what is predicted. And that is not one or two times, I am talking every storm over the past three winters.

The other thing that peeves me is several people can use the same app for weather and standing next to each other, the weather for the very same city will vary significantly.

CentaurG2

CentaurG2

Addicted to ArboristSite
sean donato

sean donato

ArboristSite Guru
Another group of "experts" that make a living on being wrong 80% of the time. You can looks at the maps, radar and what ever else your selves these days and come up with your own ideas what the weather is going to do for the day or week. I havent seen a truly accurate weather forecast in a long time, especially when bad weather is predicted.

benjo75

benjo75

ArboristSite Operative
They tend to really over exaggerate any weather around here lately. If they say 2 inches of snow don't even look for any. If they say 6 inches of rain you can expect about 2. Any severe storms or inclement weather is greatly over exaggerated and it never turns out that bad. The get the temps pretty close though. I watch the weather the night before and check the radar on my phone every morning. That's how I plan my days. Cant really go any farther out than that with any reliability.

svk

Saw Hoarder
This fall we had several stretches where no rain was predicted in the ten day forecast yet we received 3-4 days of rain in a row. Like HTF did they miss all of that?!

tla100

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't pay attention to weather. I get up and go to work everyday, rain or shine, snow or sun. I usually ask the old people, on service calls, what the forecast is.

Worst case, if flurries and everyone freaking out, I will plug skidloader in before bed. Half the time it ain't needed!

Manic84

Manic84

ArboristSite Guru
Never trust the weather forecast... Ever.
"Oh don't worry the worst is over. There will NOT be any chance of a tornado, you're in the clear!"
Two hours later... looking at the aftermath, you're thinking the weather people were probably wrong as you're looking at mini-blinds that are impaled into the wall. There was "mild" damage and luckily no injuries, but still... What a lovely surprise that was!

Beware the cheap smiles of meteorologists and respect the wind.

J.W Younger

J.W Younger

ass kissing impaired
They usually hit the temp on the nose or within a couple of degrees here...overnight low of 35f, my digital is showing 37 now and will drop 1 deg at sunup, and it is 1 deg off on the high side comparing to both my vehicles.

softdown

softdown

ArboristSite Operative
Next time I see a LOT of thunder and lightning in the late October afternoon of the Colorado mountains I do hope that I remember to scram. The weather has sucked all week. They said it would be nice starting on Tuesday!

I lost half the elk hunt because I listened to their bullsht.

TimberMcPherson

TimberMcPherson

Addicted to ArboristSite
We were working for a guy who worked for the met service. We will call him Dave. Big pines we had to winch behind his house. We told him we could only do it in a northerly, not to blustery. Dave calls us the next week.
"next few days looks great for you guys, consistant 20 to 30kmph northerly, fine."
Well it was southerly and raining. Daves was at work misinterpreting the weather, His wife apologizes and we leave.
A month later, im up in one of the pines beside his house, about the drop a sizable limb down between the roofline and the tree.
Dave calls out "You sure your going to miss my roof with that"
I call back "ah I think I should miss it"
He looks up concerned, as is his wife
"I dont like those odds" he says nervously
"Dont worry dave, im better at predicting limbs than you are at predicting weather"
His wife laughs and I drop the limb, it lands flat perfectly on the ground. And yet he didnt seem that pleased

Some people

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
True - but probably better off without a prediction than one saying 50/50 on a couple inches. We got 2' of snow. Disaster - could have been. What can travel in 2' of snow other than snowmobile or tractor?

They have been wrong every day for almost a week now.

My truck

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM