Why do west coast loggers fell timber the way the do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to a cutter today on one of our sales. It's a heavy thin, a third entry in an area badly-hit by laminated root rot. I noticed that more than half of the butts on the landing had been cut with a conventional/Saginaw face, which is not the norm here. I asked why the Sag face. He told me that cutting a lower stump on high-value poles saved out the length better than if he chanced it with a taller stump, and that due to mill requirements, he had to trim anyway. This was important because of the root rot -- normal lengths were few and far between, but suppressed trees often made good poles.

I asked the question because this was both an unusual sale and an unusual method. I'm glad I did because it taught me a thing about marking in these kinds of stands: if I mark to leave a lay that doesn't cross other stumps, I will likely increase the bid value of the sale. I'll be remembering this conversation for sure.

Last edited:
With those giants out there you should chop that in 6 months.
I've been on jobs where I chopped a million a month all by my lonesome. Just finished a Job where me and one other fella felled 1.6 million in 26 days.

I've been on jobs where I chopped a million a month all by my lonesome. Just finished a Job where me and one other fella felled 1.6 million in 26 days.
Sorry....shouldn't of started off bragging being new to the site and all.

Shod

I believe Bob mentioned most all on page one,
I will just elaborate. Often on steep ground the high side would be cut low as possible in cases so a faller can reach the low side as he may just be able to reach, cutting over his head or thinking ahead and leaving a stump higher to stand on in order to reach the low side. The last option, springboard when there is only a high side and no step option. Of course none of that applys under bar length diameter. So why else would we leave high stumps?

On heli or steep ground otherwise. It keeps the wood on the hill. You can't go below your F&B often in that situation,
Or you won't be falling long. You drop your cut and it kicks loose bucked trees below and the top slides and your in the bite. Not to mention if it is a safe practice situation,Thats a lot of energy and time. If its not safe to limb and buck thats fine.
The rigging crew will get it when its 'time'. It shouldn't happen to often. A lot of bigger cedar has butt rot and needs to be aliminated anyway. Danger tree falling: (DTF)All Danger trees are to be felled at a comfortable hight in BC falling practices.Keeps you erect and looking up. (did someone just say erect..lol)Example: fire fighting, most any dead tree removal. exempt would be a lite fire scotch in a none dangerous situation or recent bug kill. We also have the one foot rule so the stumps would be recut in most activities, except,on a fire or wet belt falling.

o

Having cut timber from both sides of the lower 48 all of the above apply. The largest difference is the soil & altitude. Red Maple from PA can be softer than an old brittle Doug Fir grown in CA. The moisture available in the trees growth rate create separate age ring density. That density is what your chain is cutting. Adjustment of the saw-chain to cut those different densities is the real challenge...

In following all publications concerning logging, a "timber feller" was even listed as a Union Job Classification. In the "English" language one doesn't FALL a tree, one fells a tree. The tree is ON THE GROUND so you FELL IT!

In following all publications concerning logging, a "timber feller" was even listed as a Union Job Classification. In the "English" language one doesn't FALL a tree, one fells a tree. The tree is ON THE GROUND so you FELL IT!
A timber faller is one who makes the tree fall or the timber fall. You don't make timber fell. Once its on the ground its no longer a tree its a log that needs to be bucked, skidded(skun if you prefer), loaded, hauled, graded, scaled, and bought. So saying one fell a tree on the ground in terms of logging is incorrect. Now if said person cutting the tree down is not a logger or timber faller then you can say they fell the tree on the ground because they have to deal with the entire tree like in an arborist or firewood scenario. So to re-cap: Timber faller- one who makes timber fall for the purpose of logging. Tree feller- one who cuts a tree down for whatever reason. The union person writing up definitions may have never cut a tree in their life. When you see a timber faller you will know the difference.

Back