Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dads was I think a timber bear late 70s or early 80s he ran that saw till it died then would have it rebuilt and go again. I think he had it rebuilt 3 times. He was going to rebuild the saw himself this time before he passed. I think the family threw it away I never saw it again

I get a kick when I watch buckin billy Ray on you tube with his souped up old macs cutting trees for a living.
I just recently stumbled across his channel. He has to be one of the happiest guys out there. I get a kick watching his videos as well.
I just bought a pro mac 10-10 from a member here. I had a chance to run it today cutting some firewood. Wow this thing is LOUD and sounds awesome! Just dont forget your ear protection. I ran a tank through it before I realized my ears were ringing. I went and got some muffs after that. First McCulloch I've ever ran.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I just recently stumbled across his channel. He has to be one of the happiest guys out there. I get a kick watching his videos as well.
I just bought a pro mac 10-10 from a member here. I had a chance to run it today cutting some firewood. Wow this thing is LOUD and sounds awesome! Just dont forget your ear protection. I ran a tank through it before I realized my ears were ringing. I went and got some muffs after that. First McCulloch I've ever ran.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hahaha welcome to the club. There is no hope for you

I think it started for me just because these were the only power saws in the family. My grandad and his cousin shared everything. They started with a D30 after they got done with misery whips, then bought the 1010S that dad still has. The D30 would still be here, but some dumbazz(me) left it in a building when we moved, I'm sure it got thrown out.
They were just so well made that you had to straight gas them for a while before you could kill them. Ive heard folks say they were hard to start. Never had that problem. Just keep them clean. Keep the ignition adjusted right, and they start right up. Nothimg sounds as good to me as an old Mac. They came from California with a factory " muffler mod", so wear your ear protection kids. Thimg that sets them apart for me is the torque. We dont have a bucking spike on any of ours. If you have the chain sharp, it dogs itself in.

McCulloch was THE saw where I grew up. Yes, Pioneer and Homelite were there too, but Mac just seemed to have the edge. My first saw was a 7-10 and I learned that "cutters curl" was a real thing and that directional felling was possible. I also learned that ear muffs were a necessity. Great saws from another era. I have a 250 that will start up and run all day with just a dribble of fuel in the carb. I let my boys use it when they complain about things being "too hard"... ;)

The older macs and homelites May have done most of the logging in the early 1900’s. Have you noticed these old saws reek of 30wt oil? Do you think the saws of today will last as long as these old macs?

Some I've ran still with SAE 30 and my god... Not sure if you meant reek in a good way or a bad way, but I could sniff that stuff all day. Love the smell of that. Some other saws I run (non-McCulloch just don't have the same scent).. Used to have a cologne that smelled identical to a McCulloch oiling a hard working chain. Couldn't get enough of the scent.

I work for a Sheriff's Office and every time I opened my locker (after using it), not only did it smell warm, but it smelled like a 10-Series McCulloch had ran like hell in my locker. Loved it!

I use a mix of brute and a fermone attractant it drives women crazy. I enjoy the hugs I get.

Never got a female's full attention from the near hot smelling SAE-30 "Fahrenheit" stuff (so far). Other methods take the place of this. I can say however, that it is a very unique smell that only a MacNut would recognize from a mile away.
I'm 21 and not worrying about a "significant" other at the moment.. Women come and go. I enjoy them while they last... But the McCulloch saws stay forever! Whiskey and Good Beer feeds into this lavish lifestyle, just saying lol.

They got a little boxy newish looking 3214 down at one of my local pawn shops for forty bucks that looks kind of interesting.

I've never owned a Mac that I can remember.

I bought a PM605 back in 1991 only because my local dealer told me this is the saw you want, LOL still have and it runs great. It's nic name is Precious, it's not that loud but we do have a old as the hills Homelite saw that is the loudest chain saw I've ever used! ear plugs and muffs!! hahaha

Colt, I'm not sure if that 3214 is the best representation of the brand to buy as a first one(they seem a little cheap to me, some of the later price point saws i think). Some May disagree, but id recommend a 10 series. Loud and heavy, but good power and torque.

There’s no mufflers on the older macs. I like the little 380 mcculloch the way it looks.

Colt, I'm not sure if that 3214 is the best representation of the brand to buy as a first one(they seem a little cheap to me, some of the later price point saws i think). Some May disagree, but id recommend a 10 series. Loud and heavy, but good power and torque.
It's a cheap little saw for sure.
'Bout the only other Macs I've seen for sale around here was a TimberBear and a couple of mini macs.
Much more Homelites and Poulans around here.

Back