why is face only 1/3?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am a bit surprised how different people try to deal with the sequence for tree removal. All trees lean one way or the other as they grow a little different every time. After practice either on your own or working with an experienced operator one will make adjustments as to how feasible or safe each particular tree should be addressed. After some practice and with some experience an operator will become skilled arbor technician. Of course time is money. A skilled technician will have plenty of work and be well paid. I wrote out a chart as to the sequence that I use on a day to day basis. Thanks

Attachments

• Wedgct3EEE.jpg
    Wedgct3EEE.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 118
I am a bit surprised how different people try to deal with the sequence for tree removal. All trees lean one way or the other as they grow a little different every time. After practice either on your own or working with an experienced operator one will make adjustments as to how feasible or safe each particular tree should be addressed. After some practice and with some experience an operator will become skilled arbor technician. Of course time is money. A skilled technician will have plenty of work and be well paid. I wrote out a chart as to the sequence that I use on a day to day basis. Thanks

OK, so we'll call it 33%. That would be rounding off a bit on the ciphering.

My former neighbor called the inaction of a stubborn tree, sattin' back. As in "She started sattin' back so I had to pour it to the saw." Or, "You gotta be careful cuz that tree'll sat back." He is a very good faller, by the way, but semi-retired.

That chart looks like a recipe for disaster

That chart looks like a recipe for disaster

I sure wouldn’t do it on most trees, but it’s pretty much the recipe for making a back leaner go the way you want it to go. ‘Cept in the woods tag lines are hard to come by so sizing up the tree is more important, sometimes you just have to know when it may just be best to lay the tree out perpendicular or opposite of the lay. I guess all the trees in Ted’s area are back leaners that have to go in a certain direction...

OK, so we'll call it 33%. That would be rounding off a bit on the ciphering.

My former neighbor called the inaction of a stubborn tree, sattin' back. As in "She started sattin' back so I had to pour it to the saw." Or, "You gotta be careful cuz that tree'll sat back." He is a very good faller, by the way, but semi-retired.

Was that neighbor Bob or Randy?

Sorry, couldn't help myself......

I sure wouldn’t do it on most trees, but it’s pretty much the recipe for making a back leaner go the way you want it to go. ‘Cept in the woods tag lines are hard to come by so sizing up the tree is more important, sometimes you just have to know when it may just be best to lay the tree out perpendicular or opposite of the lay. I guess all the trees in Ted’s area are back leaners that have to go in a certain direction...
Id do it if I wanted to pinch the bar every time I did the face cut

Was that neighbor Bob or Randy?

Sorry, couldn't help myself......

Neither. Did I not say a neighbor? Plus, I don't think either uses the expressions brought to the Big Bottom by the folks who settled the area. They were from East Tennessee. Sattin' back. Swarp the unit. Go out town. Etc.

No charts needed. I was helping with a campground hazard tree removal, making sure nobody wandered in. We met at one of the big trees that needed to come down. This guy was asked what his procedure was going to be to get the tree down. It was a large, old growth bottom growing D-fir with a lean and some rot. He replied, "I'm gonna cut 'er down. And if she don't go that way, I'm gonna run like hell." The tree went in the planned direction and no running was needed. All picnic tables and toilets survived. Campground logging can be interesting.

Neither. Did I not say a neighbor? Plus, I don't think either uses the expressions brought to the Big Bottom by the folks who settled the area. They were from East Tennessee. Sattin' back. Swarp the unit. Go out town. Etc.

No charts needed. I was helping with a campground hazard tree removal, making sure nobody wandered in. We met at one of the big trees that needed to come down. This guy was asked what his procedure was going to be to get the tree down. It was a large, old growth bottom growing D-fir with a lean and some rot. He replied, "I'm gonna cut 'er down. And if she don't go that way, I'm gonna run like hell." The tree went in the planned direction and no running was needed. All picnic tables and toilets survived. Campground logging can be interesting.
Sigh... this should be my new motto on the side of the trucks... "I'm gonna cut it down, and if it don't go that way, I'm gonna run"

Most of the fallers I know are men of few words about the job, stories yes we got stories, but when it comes to tipping trees, not much to talk about other then to belly up, eyeball the lean, and see if you can get it to do what you wan't it to do, if it don't work, run like Hel, but then if it don't work, well, then you got another story lol

Sigh... this should be my new motto on the side of the trucks... "I'm gonna cut it down, and if it don't go that way, I'm gonna run"

Most of the fallers I know are men of few words about the job, stories yes we got stories, but when it comes to tipping trees, not much to talk about other then to belly up, eyeball the lean, and see if you can get it to do what you wan't it to do, if it don't work, run like Hel, but then if it don't work, well, then you got another story lol

I believe that "Run Like Hell" is an industry slogan. That's how I tore a leg muscle. In that incident, the tree landed exactly where I had been standing. It also applies to working in the rigging although we could add duck or dive to that as in diving behind the biggest stump you can find in a hurry. I got some nice bruises from doing just that.

My favorite was an interruption during a discussion on the landing. It is "Droopy's runnin'. We ought to be runnin." Droopy was the chaser and the rigging crew had a tree they were cutting go backwards onto the lines. Nothing broke, but the noise was interesting.

Id do it if I wanted to pinch the bar every time I did the face cut

It is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for any body to get a bar caught or pinched in a face cut. Even a dumb A$$ like you probably could not do it, but I am sure you would try. Go ahead and see if it can be done. Thanks

It is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE for any body to get a bar caught or pinched in a face cut. Even a dumb A$$ like you probably could not do it, but I am sure you would try. Go ahead and see if it can be done. Thanks

I wouldn't do it , it's a recipe for disaster, the only time you use that type of method is on small trees & you use an axe on the face, because there is compression on that side & it will pinch the bar every time, go and look long and hard and see if you can find a professional that does it that way, you won't, it's a backyard firewood hacks way.

I wouldn't do it , it's a recipe for disaster, the only time you use that type of method is on small trees & you use an axe on the face, because there is compression on that side & it will pinch the bar every time, go and look long and hard and see if you can find a professional that does it that way, you won't, it's a backyard firewood hacks way.

Even a dumb A$$ would know the compression is opposite the face cut thus the wedges. Thanks

Even a dumb A$$ would know the compression is opposite the face cut thus the wedges. Thanks
WTF! Really ? You have absolutely NFI what you're on about. The wedges are artificially bending what's left of the tree, midway between what's cut & the other side of the stump is a point where there is tension wood, & on the other side is compression wood, and that's the side you are wanting to cut last. That's why an axe is used, it is not prone to getting predictably pinched like a bar of a chainsaw would be when the cut closed up. Does someone have to draw a diagram for you?

hmm... the ignore function isn't as good as it used to be

a leaning tree can and will pinch a bar in the face cut, or if you face it way to deep it will pinch then too.

Using an axe on small trees isn't a terrible idea, though you really don't need much of a face for trees that small, and in all honesty if you're falling with the lean, you don't need much face anyways

So no even a Dumb Ass knows that compression wood is dependant on lean, but this changes as the tree falls, to where the compression wood is on the faced side (unless **** goes sideways... then well... run) Wedges insure the compression wood is on the face cut side. We're talking about hinge wood here, not where the wedges make contact, which is technically compression wood, but not part of the hinge wood so therefore a different subject, its like calling the wall next to a door part of the latch mechanism.

Back