ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Why no timber fallers on ax men anymore?

LittleLebowski

LittleLebowski

ArboristSite Guru
Is there a season in which they...actually work with timber? I tried the newest season, hoping my family could sit down and enjoy some axe/chainsaw work and it was awful, staged, and there was no timber work.

Reactions: Wow
TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher

I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.
Is there a season in which they...actually work with timber? I tried the newest season, hoping my family could sit down and enjoy some axe/chainsaw work and it was awful, staged, and there was no timber work.
first two seasons after that it's all down hill. I just stick to deadliest catch now, they still show people doing a very hard dangerous job. You can't stage almost an entire crew dying when a ship capsizes

MattG
M

MattG

I know this an old thread :laugh: but when did this series turn bad? I've only watched it recently in UK, by purchasing the DVDs from Amazon. My wife just got me series 3+4 and it still seems to be reasonably good.... I'm not sure wherever is as much actual timber falling as in the first two series... When did the falling stop?

EDIT:
Sorry I only just caught up with @Nathan lassley 's last post. So it looks like series 1+2 are the only ones with decent tree work (climbing and falling), and it goes downhill from there on :(

MattG
M

MattG

Once JM Browning, Pihl, and Dwayne Dethlefs, and Mike Pihl left is when it really went down. It stayed interesting because of Shelby but then they brought on zitterkopf for two or three seasons which just killed the show.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ziddercough.291669/page-3
Well I'll probably not buy anymore than series 3-4.

I'm currently halfway through Series 3.... and it basically seems pretty good...as a show since I don't really watch any TV. Me and the wife find J and J Smith (the Aqua Loggers) absolutely hilarious....both of them seem quite sharp and the shouting matches are fun :laugh:

And yeah I find Shelby's swampland exploits pretty cool.

I guess that they stopped the falling because of insurance/risk etc. I remember in, was it series 2? the odd barber chair happening or nearly happening.....but I think that it's BS them stopping filming falling due to that. I mean logging is dangerous, period, show it like it is. And why the TV teams aren't prepared to take the same risks as the loggers is bad in my view....I mean plenty of journos go to war zones, and the odd stunt man/actor gets killed when things go bad....

Well that's my take....the TV teams just want a product where they can sell loads of advertising space....with minimum investment (i.e. pay+insurance) themselves :(

farmhard

farmhard

ArboristSite Lurker
but they dont give a fig about what we would like to see.
They rely on ratings. The problem is 300 million people that can't add the 2 digits in their IQ and get a consistent answer. You would like a documentary based informative show relevant to a trade? Good luck with that. Boring as hell to drink and smoke meth to.

Wow

ArboristSite Guru
They rely on ratings. The problem is 300 million people that can't add the 2 digits in their IQ and get a consistent answer. You would like a documentary based informative show relevant to a trade? Good luck with that. Boring as hell to drink and smoke meth to.
That show has really became Theater. Like most of us true tree work without the drama would be nice.
Recently a friend flipped the TV on and a guy was felling. I could see part of the saw. Had a nice long bar. Chips were flying. I remarked ill bet that's a big Husqvarna he's using. The camera crew NEVER showed a clear picture of the saw. Just from the flash of Cream color my guess was it probably was a Sthil. I asked if there was anything on another channel. Who is watching that temper trantuam, my daddy can beat up your daddy crap?
I came up under a slave driving, yelling, cursing father. Really can't remember having a childhood. I've quit many jobs or beat ass for being yelled at. I went into business for myself to stay out of prison after at 22 years old I almost beat a 45 year old creep within an inch of his life. Bosses that abuse the help are stupid. I've worked 75 men at a time and never once lost my temper. But that kind of control don't come easy. I STILL have to work at it but ANGER is a weakness which can be controlled. Once a guy said, I hope I didn't make you mad. I said, you aren't strong enough to anger me. I understand mistakes. As long as you are honestly trying, we are cool. But be wise and don't purposely try my patience. I will not deal with, Yes but! It's either yes, or haul your butt. My inner peace means to much to me to let fools anger me. When they say, yes but, they are not listening. One of us is leaving. The crap on TV would make me dangerous to be around. Sadly the show isn't worth my time watching. Glad to see im not alone on this matter.