Why pick a husky over a stihl (And vice versa)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what’s your reasoning for picking one over the other?

I have been around Stihls my whole life and it’s all I ever see in my father hands, friends use and tree surgeons I see use when working.

It’s no surprise it’s the route I have gone and have no intention in changing. With this said. Why do you pick one over the other?

Easy access to parts? Easier to work on? Local dealer is a ......... supplier, price? It’s all you’ve known? Bad experiences with..... or something else?

We have a saying here "once a Volvo - always a Volvo" that aims at someone once buying a new car and from there on always buy the same brand without knowing what the alternative would be.

When I have seen experienced people give advice about what brand someone should choose the answer is usually "what's the dealer closest to you selling?".

Just like if your Father drove an Aussie Vauxhall (Holden) and you were bought up around other Holden fans, would you now drive a Ford?
For a weekend warrior, Husqvarna are a lot easier to tinker with and pull apart/put back together, for a professional Husqvarna have much better air filtration and had much better anti vibe systems.
Stihl have always been very good power saws, sometimes a little heavy, little noisier and perhaps not as comfortable to use, but generally very well engineered and made.
There is a reason these two are the major players in power saws, they both make some exceptional machines for turning standing trees into laying down trees, laying down trees into logs, timber and firewood, which one to choose often comes down to perceived belief in one being better than the other.

Forget either and buy yourself a Jonsered and never look back. :numberone::ices_rofl:

Just like if your Father drove an Aussie Vauxhall (Holden) and you were bought up around other Holden fans, would you now drive a Ford?
For a weekend warrior, Husqvarna are a lot easier to tinker with and pull apart/put back together, for a professional Husqvarna have much better air filtration and had much better anti vibe systems.
Stihl have always been very good power saws, sometimes a little heavy, little noisier and perhaps not as comfortable to use, but generally very well engineered and made.
There is a reason these two are the major players in power saws, they both make some exceptional machines for turning standing trees into laying down trees, laying down trees into logs, timber and firewood, which one to choose often comes down to perceived belief in one being better than the other.

Forget either and buy yourself a Jonsered and never look back. :numberone::ices_rofl:
Really good points! Interesting to hear about taking a husky apart!

I go with a Husky, I can get parts when I need them without having to go 50 miles to get to a Dealer. Plus I don't like Stihls colors, gray gets old looking fast. I do like the oiling system design they have, that's for sure.

Steve Sidwell

I don't think stihls are bad. But I feel like the price is marked up for them being the most recognizable name to the average user. Parts are more pricey and I can get a nicer saw for the same price if I go with Husky or something like a dolmar/Makita. Money no issue, sure I'll buy one but the reality is I have to be smart with my money.

Also not worried about dealer availability. I won't go to them as it's typically like walking into an auto zone and asking for help beyond what steering wheel cover to put on your minivan. I'll order my parts online.

I like the air injection on the Husq landowner grade saws. My MS290 plugs after a tank, if that.

I like the smooth power delivery and the torque and power. Some people like the 372 wild child feel, I haven't experienced it. I like the 460/572xp smooth torque feel. Stihls have that to an extent, but X-torq feels more linear and predictable to me.

I like working on Husq saws better than Stihl. Lots of things are less complicated that I've touched so far.

I grew up as a Stihl guy and used them almost exclusively doing tree service work at three different companies. Then I found this place and 0PE. Now I've only got 3 running Stihls and the rest are Huskies.

Huskies are cheaper. I bought my Jonsered 2166 (husky 365) for under $400 brand new. Try that with a 441 or 462. Used too, there's deals to be had. 395s are very reasonable, 350s are great saws and very cheap.

Huskies have better air filters. With the exception of the new stihl models that have followed suit, the air injection on Huskies is awesome.

Parts are cheaper. You can buy them online. Yes, being able to go downtown and get a part you need right away for a stihl is important to some, but if you've got a backup for your main saws, having one wait for parts isn't an issue. An OEM top end for a 346xp is about $100. Price one for a 260 or 261. A wrap handle kit for a 372,390, or 395 is under $40 with new spikes. I think a wrap kit for a 461 is over $150.

Anti vibration is better. Like air filters, the new Stihls have caught on, but in the used market, the Huskies are smoother.

Parts are more swappable. There are lots of Huskies that can take a 346 top end. There's several choices for 372 top ends, and so on.

People think their farm bosses are hot $hit. It's pretty fun to have a cheap husky 340 with a 346 top end that'll cost less, be more fun to run, handle better, and leave their saw in the dust. :)

Next question.

All the Stihl dealers around me tack on shipping if they don't stock a part. So you pay a penalty because they're a ****** dealer...

True. I try to negotiate with the ones I deal with to wait until they are placing an order anyway. Also, it's interesting that you can't write **** on this site but ****** is okay.

Back