Why so many Acorn's this year?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...dropping huge branches onto my roof...

That's the part that gives me a little trouble. I've dismantled a pin oak or two or 100 over the years when they got very sick or dead. Never once have I seen a trunk failure or a huge limb land on a house. Not saying it can't happen, just that this isn't a species I'd rate as a high risk one, especially 20 feet from the house. If it was an ash or a cottonwood (or cottonweed, as we call them) it wouldn't bother me to whack it and flop it where it stands, while it's still young. But, people have their own ideas about what constitutes a risky tree... and usually will discuss their views while they're half drunk, driving a 2-ton truck down the street at twice the speed limit.

The pic of the tree isn't great, but I think the canopy could be raised a bit and it will be 40 years before that tree is any risk to the house. But, each to his own. :drinkingcoffee:

I say just trim it. Had a maple bout 15" from house for bout 40-45 years till tornado toped it. :mad: It was due to be taken out anyway being bout half hollow. :( Maybe my running it over with a tricicle had something to do with it?:dumb: Plan on putting swamp oak in place of it with acorns from 1 across the street. Very few last year only able to get bout 10 acorns. Many more other years.

Latest posts

Back