Why SRT for canopy access

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
panthro, sos'n that i dont f up this thread, i will email you to catch you up to speed. let me know if you dont get it. as far as a good srt system, im having trouble with that myself. right now, I have a handled ascender with floot loops above a rope grab thats attached to my bridge. but i find that this does not allow for slick decending to say the least, so im again thinking about a gri gri because it allows for quick and controlled decending. what does yalls systems look like?

moss said:
... I like the bow idea, any model/type bow to recommend? Is a 45 lb. recurve the way to go? Are you using a small diameter throwline like Zing-it or are you using monofilament with the bow?

I'm using 80 lb Dacron right now, just because I have a pile of it from offshore fishing. I also like it because it spools nicely on the 5 gallon bucket I use for a reel, doesn't try to "Auto-spool" off like heavy mono. Mono might let the arrow drop off the tie-in point better, though, I'll have to try it. After I have the dacron installed I use it to pull up slickline (polypro) or "FlingIt!" (Atlantic Braids equivelent to "Zing-it").

The bow I am using is a 45 lb Indian "Deerslayer" recurve. Thats a mid-length bow, 56" unstrung. I also have 2 more Indians (one shorter and one longer) and a Wing "Hunter", and 2 compound bows out to 75 lb. Have not tried them. Just have not needed anything bigger than the 56" 45lb. Too big a bow would actually be a nuisance, throwing the arrow over the target tree and over any trees behind it.

I would not buy a bow just for line throwing - better to put the money in a Big Shot - but since I already have the bows I use them. They are working very well since I weighted up the arrows and started using the inverted 5 gallon bucket for a "Reel". I can usually hit a 60 to 80 foot target and get the line down the other side in 2 or 3 tries. Got lucky on the last 2 - 80 footers and made it with the first shot.

Never tried a "Big Shot", but I would like to. I just bought some Jameson poles, so I guess I'm a little over half way to getting one.

moss said:
I'm getting some high throws using the the cradle throw. Still have to work on the final frontier in hand throwing, the dreaded but powerful backwards cradle throw.

Where can I learn more about "Cradle Throw" and "Backwards Cradle Throw"?

Back