why wont my full chisel chain cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky616

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
took a full chisel chain to my stihl dealer for its first sharpen. when i used it it wouldnt cut and got red hot put blue spots on my bar and the points on the cutters are burnt black. before i go into the shop and tell him its :censored: useless can someone give me some tips on why this has happened.

First, you did not tell us what material you tried to cut, also there are two ways to put the chain on a saw. Maybe turning black was all the chain could to with what you offered it!

It is not unheard of for a Stihl dealer to screw up that badly on sharpening a chain but my first impression is to suspect operator abuse. Can you show us some pictures?

....... when i used it it wouldnt cut and got red hot put blue spots on my bar and the points on the cutters are burnt black. .

Red hot?? Blue heat on the bar, yes those are definitely "operator error" components. Maybe you had the chain on backwards, maybe your oiler doesn't work, maybe the dealer did mess up the chain somehow, but red hot?? That's something you did. Was the wood on fire?

Need to know what you were cutting, and did it start to cut and then stop or not cut from the start?

yes i should have put a little more info down in my first part. im not an idiot and the chain was not on backwards. first thoughts where oiler not working but its pumping fine. im cutting redgum timber which is quiet hard but the chain cut over 2 ton of the same timber when i took it out of the packet. it starts to cut but only goes in about 2 inches then bogs my saw down and starts smoking and gets hot. its a 25inch bar on a 66 mag. when i spat the dummy and put my old worn out home sharpened standard chain on it cut like a dream and everything ran cool. and as for operator abuse i will post a pic of my old 66 and you can tell me if its been abused.

Red hot?? Blue heat on the bar, yes those are definitely "operator error" components. Maybe you had the chain on backwards, maybe your oiler doesn't work, maybe the dealer did mess up the chain somehow, but red hot?? That's something you did. Was the wood on fire?

ive cut plenty of burning wood with a lot of saws and never had anyting like this happen

ive cut plenty of burning wood with a lot of saws and never had anyting like this happen

Mate, post a pic, not that I know anything but bloody hell, what's the dealer done to the chain ??

I've seen a "professionally" sharpened chain with so much hook on it that it cut once in dirty White Box and wouldn't look at it again, just tried to burn up. It was fine after I sharpened it with the oregon jig and a file.

and Red Gum is hard enough (and probably harder than anything normally cut in NA) but it's nothing like Iron Bark :greenchainsaw:

id say the your bar is that badly worn that the chain kicks sideways in the grove and tries to cut the other way.

dose it do this on everycut or just the first one.

if it was jsut the first then id say that that you hit a bolt or the like and took all the edge off it.

otherwise... was the cut closing up and pinching the saw.

i

trying to get a decent pic to show its hard to get a good focus. i thought maybe it was the bar as its done a fair amount of work but my other chain runs fine. the chain on left is my old semi chain with the full chisel skip on the right. you can just see the black point on the cutter

one other thing that could be wrong is you have a husky chain that is meant for a smaller bar grove this would not have matterd when it was new and evnly sharpend but once it changes a bit you get problems.

this has happend to me a few times.

one other thing that could be wrong is you have a husky chain that is meant for a smaller bar grove this would not have matterd when it was new and evnly sharpend but once it changes a bit you get problems.

this has happend to me a few times.

Easy enough to check, what numbers are stamped into the drive links ?

it came out of a brand new stihl packet so i hope its for mine. i just scanned the chain and its a lot clearer. hope they help you all

from the looks of you pic, i would say there is 2 much hook on the cutters, and i also wouldnt be using a full chisel chain on gum, here in new zealand i dont use full chisel on gum unless its a standing live tree other wise chains go blunt very fast. just use a semi chisel and keep it touched up

from the looks of you pic, i would say there is 2 much hook on the cutters, and i also wouldnt be using a full chisel chain on gum, here in new zealand i dont use full chisel on gum unless its a standing live tree other wise chains go blunt very fast. just use a semi chisel and keep it touched up

Good point. None of the firewood cutters I know use full chisel, just not worth the aggro, although I did trial some 72V (full chisel safety chain) in some 35" box (eucalyptus) the other day and it wasn't too bad until I hit the dirty stuff, but I killed my semi-chisels faster when I hit some termite dirt inside the buggers. :mad:

Last edited:
the full chisel chain was brilliant when it was new 2 ton straight up of clean dry gum which is all i bought it for and use it on. i have my semis for the dirty nasty stuff, and they do the job well i just like the speed of the full chisel, half a tank of juice and i had a months worth of wood. at $240 bucks a ton to buy locally id still be in front if i bought a new chain each time.

Back