why wont my full chisel chain cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the only things i cab find on the chain are stihl 3/8 and the number 6 or 9 which ever way you look at it

Is that what your bar is? Doesn't explain why it worked untill at the shop unless it got switched with another gauge chain?

3/8 ch
63cm 25"
1.6 mm 063
and its a stihl bar i added a pic of the blue spot, i think the bar might be cactus this time

I am at a loss.

My only thoughts are that the shop that sharpened your chain messed it up, or possibly when you put the chain on, the oil hole in your bar was plugged up but when you put the old chain back on, it came unplugged.

But if it was an oil problem, I would think that it would have burnt up more of your bar. I am just thinking out loud now.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I will be any help.

Good luck,

Fred

yeah i went strait for the oiler but it was pumping fine my big bar never got hot when i changed over. thanks for ya help fred

Do you have a depth gauge to check the raker height ?
It's hard to tell from the pics where they might be.

FWIW, here's a pic of a new 33RSC (same chain, 0.050" drive link)

IMGA0328-copy.jpg

trying to get a decent pic to show its hard to get a good focus. i thought maybe it was the bar as its done a fair amount of work but my other chain runs fine. the chain on left is my old semi chain with the full chisel skip on the right. you can just see the black point on the cutter

in ref to the first pic you posted.....
Even though one on the left is yr old one and worn down . in comparison the one on the right looks like 404.Also are you running hard- nose in the Redgum ?
How worn is the sprocket ?

Last edited:
im running a sprocket nose bar only because it dont have much life left in it then i will get a solid. and the sprocket is ok. the chain runs fine it just dont cut. it ran perfect new until i got it sharpened

Yeah I'd be thinking they boogered it up BUT does the drive sprocket look good ( not worn ) ???
( not bar sprocket )>reading a couple of other posts on overheating chain another on melting plastics/oil pump gear.....
Have had overheated chains before ....was either the chain or bar.Are you noticing any grab on the bar sprocket ...when assembled ?

- Graeme

drive sprocket is almost new would only have the slightest wear on it, everything spins fine on the bar and saw. i just took it back to the dealer and they done it again and im about to take it out and test it. buy the looks of the teeth i may need to buy an 88 to pull em gonna make the 66 work hard i think. they knocked the rakers down a fraction and gave the cutters what for. so will have to see

well it appears to have been fixed cuts good again but im up for a new bar the heat stress was too much for it. $120 au for a stihl hard nose. does that seem too much anyone know a cheaper place to buy. couple of pics below of the timber i sliced up this afternoon

broken hill new south. done most of my chainsaw work in vic around hamilton and horsham

Back