why wont my full chisel chain cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like some hard wood, i would bet the chain hit something on the first cut after you had it sharpened, wouldn't take much to dull it...

They appear off in the pic.

depth gauge shows they are spot on
picture.php

2 and 3 appear way too low. 1 is better. 4 is similar to 1.
All appear to have way too much "hook".
-br

the deaers put teh chain in those boxes.

its not unusual to get carlton or origan chainin a stihl box.

check the numbers on the chin and post them here.

every chain I've gotten at a stihl dealer has been stihl... If someone is selling oregon as stihl, your getting screwed..

well it appears to have been fixed cuts good again but im up for a new bar the heat stress was too much for it. $120 au for a stihl hard nose. does that seem too much anyone know a cheaper place to buy. couple of pics below of the timber i sliced up this afternoon

So they ground the bar?

looks as if ur trying to cut gum with a skip chain ,no good in hard wood bloke and as for the superchisel i use semi chisel on ironbark and gum its more forgiving when it comes to cutting through dead timber with dirt in it,those superchisel chains are good but once the point dulls its time for a sharpen,my two bobs worth.:cheers:

Greetings Guys, I'd say the rakers were too high, I did that once years ago. The shop caused the problem. You should sharpen your own, it can be fast and easy.
Our property,when i Auz, was in Brightvieu close Laidly Shire between Brisbane and Towomba. I can picture where you folks are cutting.

Glad your problems are over sorry that shop did you bad.

took a full chisel chain to my stihl dealer for its first sharpen. when i used it it wouldnt cut and got red hot put blue spots on my bar and the points on the cutters are burnt black. before i go into the shop and tell him its :censored: useless can someone give me some tips on why this has happened.

Assuming you have the right chain for the bar (gauge), not on backwards!, bar not worn out, etc. Here is my guess: The person that sharpened the chain is clueless! We have cut more than 15,000 cords of firewood on our property, most of it u-cut. I have sharpened chains for about half of that wood. (We also have a logging business and I sharpen 100% of those chains)I have heard dozens of times that they have never seen a saw cut like my sharpening did. I have seen the sharpening jobs of dozens of saw shops within about 50 miles of our place. The truth is that at least 75% of them don't sharpen well at all. In fact, some of them are so disgusting that my sharpening job outcuts them 4 to 1. Most don't take down rakers as part of sharpening, or will charge extra for it. Don't assume that because your so-called professional saw shop sharpened your chain that it is sharpened correctly-I've found that is uncommon.

Solution: buy a good grinder, such as a Silvey or Simington so you can sharpen chisel chain square. Learn how to use it. Sharpen your own chains, and other peoples-make money on providing a very useful service that is apparently not available in your area!

Does anyone see a beak in that top plate???

I have been at this square chisel sharpening for 2 months and it is a bit tricky. I have the best luck with a GOOFY file and still don't have the chisel bit file down well.

Sure looks like a beak on the larger cutter on the right.

trying to get a decent pic to show its hard to get a good focus. i thought maybe it was the bar as its done a fair amount of work but my other chain runs fine. the chain on left is my old semi chain with the full chisel skip on the right. you can just see the black point on the cutter

This is the pic I am referring to. A black beak!!!

that doesnt look like the chain turned black from getting hot..looks to me like you rammed it into the ground or cut a reallllllllly dirty stump off. Ive seen that a bunch, get your file out and sharpen it and see if it will cut. your bar also looks like its sort of wore, you might need to check and make sure it hasnt mushroomed wider than the chain.

The last time I ever brought my chains to a shop to be sharpened, they came home duller than when I dropped them off!! Needless to say that was the last time I ever paid to have a chain sharpened or try to sharpen that is.

Back