Wicked Cherry Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
DEAD HORSES, CHERRY TREES, CATERPILLARS AND CYANIDE
University of Kentucky Researchers and horse owners have been scrambling to find the cause of several hundred foal deaths in Kentucky this spring. The leading theory relates to cherry trees, which have been growing near most of the affected horses, though the scientific verdict is still out.

Cyanide, present in cherry leaves, is the strongest suspect. An especially long winter may have somehow played a part (in 1981, a similar phenomenon occurred, following a similarly severe winter) but it`s not clear how. Investigators have also noted a high level of infestation of tent caterpillars on cherry trees this year, and this may be associated with the foal deaths as well.

Still not clear is how the toxins - if indeed they are the culprit - are being ingested by horses. However, the association between the foal deaths and cherry trees, cyanide and caterpillars seems strong.

I remember hearing about a guy who died after eating chinaberries he found growing on trees outside his hotel room in Orlando, FL. His family then sued the hotel for wrongful death or negligence. Apparently, the hotel failed to notify its guests about the hazards of eating wild fruit from unknown plants. Go figure.:confused:

I wonder if they thought of sueing his parents for giving birth to a moron? They didnt notify him he was a moron. That's grounds isnt it? Everybody is sue happy. It totally agrivates me.:angry:

Latest posts

Back