Wife wants a chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...for her birthday. What would you do? .

X10 on the let her pick, but for goodness sakes, PLEASE, get her a full set of safety gear in her size if she doesn't already have her own. Especially the good hardhat/shield/muff combo. There are even models with communications between headsets, might be nice for a team like you two. Those light weight saws... I'll be honest, they scare me way worse than the big saws.

Like when the wife wants her own pistol....
Take her to the store and leave her alone. Let her work with the sales guy to find what she is comfortable with and what fits her. What she chooses may not be your preference, but you're not the person running it.

While there, if she doesn't already have some, get her some PPE that fits her properly.

Then, just pay the bill.
The handgun your wife buys today, is the handgun she kill you with tomorrow.
Don't you watch Forensic Files?...lol

Rear handle saw, battery one if pulling to start is a problem. Depending on the cancer and treatments it can affect the muscles used in starting a saw. My employees will often pick up the battery saw to make cuts, especially the one with shoulder issues.

I'm in trouble then, my wife has more handguns than I do, and is a better shot so at least I won't suffer. Or maybe I will, now that I think about it. :confused:

I'm in trouble then, my wife has more handguns than I do, and is a better shot so at least I won't suffer. Or maybe I will, now that I think about it. :confused:

If you marry the right woman, that's not something you need to worry about.

As for wood cutting.........
We keep a small rack of wood in the car port - enough for 1 day. My wife will take from that rack and feed the stove. She will even scoop the ashes. However, everything up to and including filling the small wood rack.... that's on me. That's ok though, she takes care of a ton of house stuff while I am working on said firewood.

If you marry the right woman, that's not something you need to worry about.

As for wood cutting.........
We keep a small rack of wood in the car port - enough for 1 day. My wife will take from that rack and feed the stove. She will even scoop the ashes. However, everything up to and including filling the small wood rack.... that's on me. That's ok though, she takes care of a ton of house stuff while I am working on said firewood.

The wife cleans out the stove, lights the fire and pretty much owns it through the day. I keep the woodbox by the stove filled and move wood as needed. And. needless to say, collect, split, stack for seasoning and move to woodshed all the wood these days. I'm happy with the deal.

I got mine a 250. That lasted a couple hours and she wanted my 460. Said it was to heavy, but liked the power. So I got her a 362. She absolutely loves it! She's bucked a few cords now and shesshreally getting the hang of it.

That 362 is the best all around 'wooding' saw in my stable. The 441 only comes out for the big stuff or sometimes for noodling. My buddy's 041 died beyond recovery and he is scheming to come up with a good reason he needs a new 362

Does my Wife have a Sister neither of us knew about??

My Wife Really enjoys running our splitter, and wanted Her Own saw, so she got a Husky 445 for Christmas in 2017, she is still getting comfortable with running the saw, but is very Happy with it.
She is often the one to clean the stove, and build a fire from a cold start, I am sometimes away from home for a week or more for work, and even in the dead of winter she keeps the fire tended, but I do try to have an ample ready supply of wood for her before I leave.

Her 50th Birthday was in January of 2018, and I started a thread "Rae's Flannel Fest 2018" about the "Lumber Jill" themed party that she planned for it( Sorry, I am very Tech challenged, or I would post a link) Her and a bunch of her Friends had a Great time with that theme.

Doug :cheers:

A rear handle saw is the safer saw when it comes to controlling kick back .
A top handle saw should be for pro use only. I have had one since I was 16 and they are easy to run with one hand. But because of the ease of use it is easy to get overconfident and reach out at a dangerous angle an be unable to control the kickback when it happens. I will use my top handle when I am in a tree, but not on the ground.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A top handle saw should be for pro use only. I have had one since I was 16 and they are easy to run with one hand. But because of the ease of use it is easy to get overconfident and reach out at a dangerous angle an be unable to control the kickback when it happens. I will use my top handle when I am in a tree, but not on the ground.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I agree and disagree ... I miss my mini Mac's for 1 handed liming when at the trailer cause I could stand up a 4ft with 1 hand and clear it with the other ... should a some one with little saw experience do that, no ... should I have been doing that? ... we'll I never even came close to an oopsy ...

I agree and disagree ... I miss my mini Mac's for 1 handed liming when at the trailer cause I could stand up a 4ft with 1 hand and clear it with the other ... should a some one with little saw experience do that, no ... should I have been doing that? ... we'll I never even came close to an oopsy ...

Agree that they are more dangerous than a rear handle but...for brushing out a tree they will cut the time down by about a half...IF you work them one handed. I do and keep in mind it is not advisable.

There is also a big difference in a 200 lb man using it and a woman.

I agree, I climbed for 40+ years and never really liked them. I also did stuff with rear handles that a rookie or weaker person shouldn't do. Using the old Homelite Super EZ's or Poulan XXV's I would reach out one handed, full body length, to reach a little limb. The top handles we had wouldn't quite reach. I used to think they were made for guys too weak to hold a rear handle out at arms length.

Anyway, I'm on board with the battery crew, and hey Hon, where we going for dinner tonight, not, what's for dinner.

Oops, thought I hit the quote button. This was in relation to the top handles, don't like them.

This is America. The standard issue woman is over 200 lbs. That is why I weigh 250. Just trying to stay ahead
We were talking about my SIL yesterday. We figured each one of her breasts weighed as much as my full grown Bernese Mountain dog. Just think, if she rolled over in bed and one of those things flopped on your head, you would sufacate before any one knew. The last time my BIL brought up the subject, he said she was closer to 400 than 300.

Back