Wild black cherry chips?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diy mechanic mike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was wondering if wild black cherry chips would be worth separating to sell to ppl for smoking meat. We have been clearing some trees on our property and have a few wild cherries were gonna be harvesting for the trunks. And figured since we have been chipping everything else up for our gardening, and the 5"-10" is firewood, maybe we could turn a buck off the cherry if we separate and sell at yard sales or something.... if it would be worth separating to sell, would selling it at 5bucks a fat grocery sack full be worth it to ppl wanting to bbq? I'm planning to chip it into 55gal drums for the ease of transportation and scoop sack fills out of easily.

If this idea is crazy I'll just keep the chips for myself and use as we randomly cook on the grill. Just figured maybe we could turn a buck or two off the scraps from clearing our land.

You could try. I was always taught, in order to keep wood from absorbing moisture you needed to have it heated to about 200*F, otherwise it will re-absorb the moister. Just sounds like a lot of work to me for $5.

If you could find or make a mesh drum like that I've seen some do for firewood that may work to help dry them.
I've cut Cherry into slices before to let dry then knocked it into chips for my meat smoker.
They need to dry kinda right of the hop to be usable.
Good luck and post us some pics.

Latest posts

Back