Wildlife Nuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darin

No Longer Here
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has run into any crazies going nuts because you were cutting down a tree. I was listening to Jim Rome (sports radio) last week and heard that some animal rights people were protesting the Indy 500 because it is a ritual at the end of the race, that the winner drinks milk. I am all for saving certain things, but milk? Some people go too far with this stuff. Have any of you been "basil pruning a tree that " people were going nuts over? I think I would show them the chainsaw and say, "its either the tree or you!!!" I bet they would pick the tree, huh? Hehe

I'm not even going to touch the 'milk' thing, this isn't the right forum.
As for the 'tree huggers', I recall many times when I was working in a tree - trimming, removing deadwood and basically doing everything I knew to help the tree and someone would invariably walk up and ask "WHY ARE YOU CUTTING DOWN THAT TREE?" Kind of ironic that we remember the bad and forget the good.:(

Only occasionally have we run into a real tree fanatic. Usually, its just a neighbor or other concerned citizen wondering why we are cutting down "a perfectly good tree." Depending on what kind of mood I'm in, I'll give them one of the following answers:

A. "Well, even though the tree appears alive and well, its got these major structural defects, i.e. root rot, weak crotches, internal decay, etc., etc."

B. "I'm not thrilled about removing it either, but the homeowner wants it out, they have valid reasons, and the city/county inspector has approved the permit."

C. "No hablo anglais."

D. Just give them a big Jack Nicholson grin while revving the big saw and continue working.

With the world getting smaller all the time, I've learned not to fake ignorance in a real foreign language. I just use a Latka Gravis voice and say NO SPEAK! NO SPEAK! then run my tongue around my lips as far out as possible. Maybe not too good for getting other work in the neighborhood, but ends the conversation!

heeheeheee makes me wonder who is the nut! :D I usually just tell them that I will start removing the tree as soon as I am done trimming it.

I once had a neighbour get so angry with the thought of me taking down an ash(!) tree that she picked up and threw a railway tie at my helper. I couldn't believe it - the tie probably weighed 100 lbs - she didn't come too close, but she was a nutbar. She wanted the tree left, as she figured (correctly) that the tree would take up a bunch of the water in the low corner of their yards, so the bull rushes would not grow. But no reason to think too hard about this one, the tree came down.

I have had neighbours not co-operate (move cars, barbeques, use driveway for access, yard for pulling ropes, etc) because they hated the neighbour, and I guess, by default, they hated me and mine. I got smarter about this and would give two quotes - with the neighbours cooperation and without. That way the homeowner would be on the hook to get the neighbours help, nes pas moi.

I have also had neighbours come over and offer help, if only to ensure that the tree that they hate and the neighbour loves gets more of a trim than the owner planned. Lotsa personalities.

The are always folks that will take things to extremes and others that just don't have the knowledge base to understand tree work. Look at the situation as an opportunity to teach & outreach good practice and you might be surprised by the change in reaction. Arborists get a bad rep from bad practice. I wish folks would give the guys topping a tree or doing a serious hack job on a tree an earful.

Back