Will a larger bar affect my saw, even if I'm still milling the same size wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpacemanSpiff23

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 576xp (72cc) with a 28 inch bar, and I'm using my friends Small Log Alaskan Mill. The kind that only clamps on near the power head and is recommended for shorter bars. I want to get my own mill, but I was thinking about going up to the size that clamps on both ends of the bar. The issue I have with that style is it seems like you lose a lot of bar length with the extra clamp on the end. So I was thinking about getting a longer bar and a longer mill, so that I would end up with the same cutting length that I have now. My saw recommends a 28" max bar. If I go up to 36, but still only use it on logs that are in the 18"-25" range, is the saw going to perform the same? Does that much extra chain cause a lot of drag and slow down the saw?

Also, why do they recommend such small logs for the small log mill? I cut up an 18" Maple the other day, and it worked great.

Longer bar is more friction. Every extra driver that's in the bar groove is seeing friction even if it's not in wood.

Also have to think about oiler. Smaller saws are not designed to output enough oil to keep a long bar lubricated which casues even more friction and wear.

Can you do it? Yes. Is it advisable for long term health of the power head or bar? No.

I would suggest a 90cc saw for milling with a 36" bar.

Alright, second option. Just buy the same mill I'm using now. The Small log alaskan Mill and use it on my 28" bar. There is a little bit of sag between the bar and guide, but not enough to be a problem for the rougher stuff I'm making.

Go big and never look back.

36 inch Alaskan Mill

With gear drive 895 McCulloch, 103 cc. 36 inch bar.

jvql4SW.jpg

With Stihl 075 111cc 36 inch bar

rNlV5cv.jpg

With Stihl 090 137 cc 42 inch bar

ubMa7lG.jpg

GtIUD86.jpg

Some for o
What do you guys use this lumber for?

Some for outdoor tables & benches. The larger ones for a dining room table. A coffee table or two.

Three or four to make benches for the blacksmith shop. 3 inch slabs. I will mount post vises on the benches (have three).

One for a wood working bench with two vises, one being an end vise.

Several to friends for their projects.

I started with a good supply of big logs.

zoJ4Xnr.jpg

I looked at what you're looking at, using a smaller saw.
But if you put on a 36" bar and adjust the chain tension, then pull the chain around by hand a little bit, you can see how much friction there really is. If the chain was loose, it wouldn't make that much difference. But with the chain on any saw needing to be fairly tight, you burn a lot of horsepower in friction. I probably wouldn't put bigger than a 28" bar on your saw.
I have a 395xp, which is a 95cc saw, on a 36" bar, and I'm milling through 30" or so thick oak, and I would not want to be doing this work with a smaller saw.
People say that you could do it if if you let the saw cool regularly, but I think it would take you forever to mill anything bigger than 24"

Back