Will a Stihl FS 130 run a shredder blade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stantonizm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently bought an FS 130 to clear some brush. I’m mostly wanting to use it for thick brambles like blackberry and multi flora rose with some small saplings mixed in. I have a Renegade hybrid blade for bigger stuff like autumn olive.
From what I’ve been reading, the shredder-type mulching blades are the best option for clearing vines and thick brushy growth. I bought a Champion Cutter Brush Blender that just came in today. I was doing a little more reading though and it seems like they may be intended for the big clearing saws. Will my 130 run it ok or do I need do go to another blade type? If so, what would be the best alternative?

My fs250 runs a shredder blade very well. Please understand we r stand that those blade are considered a no no due to US safety standards. That said, they are the best for blackberries. I should think your fs130 would work well if my 250 does. The 130 having should be a bonus more low end torque.

I would not use a shredder blade on the FS 130. It`s also not a valid cutting tool for the FS 130 (from STIHL). A shredder blade needs a lot of energy and a though machine (a real clearing saw). The drive shaft and the gearhead are not made for the use with a shredder blade. If you are really careful it may work, but it is real hard for the machine and I would not use it on a FS 130.

Most blades do not really seem to use a lot of power, lots of energy stored in the spinning blade. Is that a 36cc two cycle device? that should be plenty for the engine if you cut stuff like I do. Like stated above the stress to the gearbox is great when the blade is stopped by impact. That thing might really throw stuff at your legs that hurt. The best option is a diesel tractor for as much of it as possible. Might also check to see if the splines of the blade holder are long enough to engage both pieces that clamp the blade as that is likely pretty thick.

Thanks for the advice. I may see what else I can find. Is there a next best thing for destroying blackberries and multiflora rose?

I also just found a good deal on an Echo SRM410U. I might sell the FS 130 and get the Echo. With the solid steel drive and more power, I would think it would run it well.

The fs130 is supposed to have a solid shaft, I early don't see why it won't work as my fs250r is pretty close to the same and it works great on blackberries with a shredder blade. I prefer it to the fs550 I had as the loop handle is easier to throw either high or into areas the bike handles make difficult. I've hit a cyclone fence twice an it stopped the 250 dead. But it started up immediately afterward with no damage except the fence link pulled out a bit. I've ben using my 250 that way for years with great results. It is excellent up next to barns and under fence lines where a brush hog won't fit.

You can use a brush knife on the FS 130 and yes the 130 has a solid drive shaft. But it is not as solid as the ones on the real clearing saws. Also on the FS 250 the shredder blade is no recomended cutting tool. It may work but it has a reason if it is not recomended by Stihl on these units.

I have cleared a lot of land using both an FS130 and a FS250 and have beat the snot out of them. They will run any blade that will fit without any problems. Both machines were available with either a D loop or the bike handles. A dedicated clearing saw is bike handles only. The D-loop with a blade works fine, but is NOT recommend as it is a law suit waiting to happen. After a lot of testing, my preferred blade was the Redmax sst229. Teeth are identical to a chainsaw chain and you sharpen them the same way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183898361124

Trust me, if there is anyway to get a powered piece of equipment on the land you intend to clear it will save you hours of backbreaking work. A Dr Trimmer or a Billygoat brushhog (rent for the day) are the way to go or higher someone with a tractor/brushhog. In some cases, a person using a chainsaw on knees was more efficient than the trimmers.

The shredder blade is not recommended in the US at all on any machine if I've been told correctly. As with ny machine, you need skill and some common sense or I don't recommend it at all.

As I recall, Stihl dedicated clearing saws and blades for them have a smaller arbor size and will not fit a grass trimmers/brushsaw want to be. Trimmers are something like 25mm vs clearing saws which run something like 20mm. If the “shredder” blade looks like something you would find under a push mower, it probably will not fit an FS130 or a FS250.

I talked to the Stihl dealer my family has gone too forever. He said he has a 130 that's his main brush cutter on his farm. His feeling is that they are beefy enough that running the shredder blade shouldn't be an issue and if it were to actually mess up the drive shaft or gearhead, its a fairly cheap fix.

I went ahead and ordered a 12" Airecut tri-blade too. I think it should do most of what I want to do, be better for grass, and be well within the specs of what the 130 is made for.

I talked to the Stihl dealer my family has gone too forever. He said he has a 130 that's his main brush cutter on his farm. His feeling is that they are beefy enough that running the shredder blade shouldn't be an issue and if it were to actually mess up the drive shaft or gearhead, its a fairly cheap fix.

I went ahead and ordered a 12" Airecut tri-blade too. I think it should do most of what I want to do, be better for grass, and be well within the specs of what the 130 is made for.
If you look in what I just posted it shows what attachment blades.

If you look in what I just posted it shows what attachment blades.
I did.

The shredder/mulcher blades aren't available in the US from Stihl anymore and I think they were always a specialty item, so its unlikely the manual would recommend them even if they were appropriate. It doesn't show up at all on this selector guide: https://m.stihlusa.com/WebContent/C.../Cutting-Heads-and-Blades-Selection-Chart.pdf

The one I want to run is the Champion Brush Blender., which is similar to this: https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...Cutting-tools/21223-63713/Shredder-blade.aspx

I did.

The shredder/mulcher blades aren't available in the US from Stihl anymore and I think they were always a specialty item, so its unlikely the manual would recommend them even if they were appropriate. It doesn't show up at all on this selector guide: https://m.stihlusa.com/WebContent/C.../Cutting-Heads-and-Blades-Selection-Chart.pdf

The one I want to run is the Champion Brush Blender., which is similar to this: https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...Cutting-tools/21223-63713/Shredder-blade.aspx
Did you look on Ebay?

I don't need to find the blade. I already have the one I want to use and it has the correct arbor size. I'm trying to determine if its going to damage my machine to run it.

Oregon and Windsor made shredder blades. I bought a Windsor and later 3 Oregon blades on Ebay about 5 years ago. I also bought a Stihl shredder blade from a gentleman in Australia. The Oregon has the heaviest profile and the Stihl the lightest. I belive mine are the 9" profile, I'm not sure 10" will clear the guard. My fs250r has the 20mm arbor so either hole size will work. I'm pretty sure the 130 is the same.

From what I've read, the Champion Brush Blender is the only one of this type still in production here. I don't think the Oregon or Winsdor are still made. This one is 12", 3mm thick, and weights 405g.
Looks like this:
BB2-12-DB-sm.jpg

I bought one of those Champion blades for my Husqvarna 555fx after I got it because of some pretty impressive videos on YouTube. I never have mounted if because I need a different blade/debris guard and never figured out which one I needed. How come they are so taboo in the US? I put together a hard hat with the face shield and have chainsaw chaps I planned to use with it if I ever do use it.

Latest posts

Back