Will poplar trees that are leafing out flower?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

challenger

Cheese is good.
Reaction score
I live in the wake of hurricane Florence. Lots of trees here had their leaves stripped or lost them due to salt rain burn. Many are no leafing out again and some are flowering like it's spring. This is definitely a first for me. Bradford pear trees are flowering full blast. My question is specific to tulip poplars that are leafing out. Will flowers also be blooming from these trees? Seems like the flower comes from the same part of the tree as the leaves do.
I'm a beekeeper and tulip poplar are huge honey producing sources. It makes great honey and a lot of it. If these bloom again it will change the way I need to prepare my bees for winter and knowing if they will or won't ahead of time would be very helpful.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What you are seeing is a stress response to the defoliation caused by the hurricane. It is typical for trees to try to grow another set of leaves following such stress. Less typical is a second flowering event. It does happen though, particularly for fruit trees such as pears and apples. Those trees that are producing flowers now will likely have fewer flowers next spring. Tulip poplar is a member of the Magnolia family and there are some ornamental magnolias that flower twice per year, but I would not expect the tuliptree to flower again this year.

Thanks, I emailed a guy at NC STATE University. Turns out he is a PhD and didn't give me much of an answer so?
I'm of the opinion these trees will flower again. ALOT of trees and shrubs are leafed out and flowered. Here is a photo of one newly leafed out branch taken two days ago. Clearly it has a flower bud but no flower yet. I'll also say that this event won't decrease next springs bloom to any noticeable amount. Just my lamemans take[emoji16]. I'll keep you informed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back